Cannot Add User in Windows Security Dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeG

Cadet
Long story short:

FreeNas 9.2.1 installed, CIFS share created with three users. Let's call them Jim, Dave, and Mitch.

Users were created using the FreeNAS WebGUI and permissions set accordingly to the volume and to allow administrator Mitch the option to go in and manually set permissions to specific folders, for specific user access levels.

When testing it out, I ran into a problem.

When I go in to add a user thru the Explorer permissions dialog, I get the following nifty message.

"An object named "Jim" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection."​
Essentially indicating to me that Windows isn't able to communicate on some level with the FreeNAS created users.

Except in a way, it can. When I go and chown a folder to Dave, then go into permissions in Windows, the permissions dialog lists FREENAS\Dave in permissions dialog box. I chown the folder to Jim, same thing happens.

Yet I can't get Windows to add a user to the folder's permissions list.

The other error message when I go to advanced check for names is this:

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by t he same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

I looked for possible problems that would cause this, the main one apparently being various mapped network drive issues... which isn't my problem. The network has never been mapped.

Solution?

alexg

Contributor
Having same issues after upgrade to 9.2.1. Anyone knows where to look for errors?

MikeG

Cadet
Best I could discover is that the share read the initial access by the permitted admin user on a single host machine, then when I went to try and edit the permissions and it asked for my password again, it considered it a secondary and simultaneous access, which resulted in the error message. Haven't been able to find a solution to it yet.

clahti

Dabbler
I am also seeing this issue, our FreeNAS box is hooked up to Active Directory. I am having so many issues with CIFS shares since upgrading to 9.2.1.2 from 8.3.x. The culprit is Samba 4 and the use of facls I am sure but this has effectively killed access to our 34TB main file server for the entire company. We are using FreeNAS because this server hosts both CIFs and NFS shares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am also seeing this issue, our FreeNAS box is hooked up to Active Directory. I am having so many issues with CIFS shares since upgrading to 9.2.1.2 from 8.3.x. The culprit is Samba 4 and the use of facls I am sure but this has effectively killed access to our 34TB main file server for the entire company. We are using FreeNAS because this server hosts both CIFs and NFS shares.

I personally would have gone to 9.2.0 instead of 9.2.1.2. And I would have NEVER upgraded a server without doing some testbed testing first. That's just a recipe for disaster.

clahti

Dabbler
Point well taken, however one would not have expected the project to go to samba4 in a minor point release. This change should have been made in a major release. That being said we are where we are, so what is the best approach to solve the problem without any fingers directed in any particular direction? I have reviewed https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4151 which is the exact problem but I cannot seem to get the correct recipe in place to solve the issue, I am probably being thick, so any assistance with the share permissions/facls would be greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have the old configuration file and didn't upgrade your zpool version I'd do an install of 9.2.0.

If you don't have the old configuration file you could go back to 9.2.0, but you'd be talking about resetting up FreeNAS from scratch(but your data would be imported).

If you upgraded your zpool(you must do this manually so you should know if you did it or not0, you are in sh*t creek without a paddle because your pool is no longer compatible with anything except 9.2.1+. If you are in this situation the only options are to stick with 9.2.1+ or create a new pool and recover from backup. The manual does warn you of this...

I do consulation work if your company is interested.. and you'd probably find my rates are very reasonable... ;)

clahti

Dabbler
I did not upgrade the zpool, and we have a backup of the original configuration prior to upgrade from 8.3.x

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then I'd install 9.2.0 and restore your config.

alexg

Contributor
I found a workaround, but not sure why. I use local user authentication. If I login into my admin Windows 7 account I'm able to view freenas users in Windows Security dialog

MikeG

Cadet
Well I have an update, which makes absolutely no sense so this technically is still an issue. But as far as my infrastructure is concerned, I'm able to work with it now.

First, I tried a couple of the solutions posted here and elsewhere (rolled back to various previous versions of FreeNAS, already was logged in using local user and a W7 admin account, still the same issue).

We got a new workstation for one of our administrators who is running on a Windows 8 platform. I set him up as a FreeNAS admin and he's able to change the permissions without issue.

My next step is to try a different W7 machine and see if they're able to edit permissions. At which point I'll know that it's a specific problem with the machine I was originally attempting to use (or whether there's a particular issue with my configuration in FreeNAS somewhere that isn't communicating with the W7 platform).

italiansoda

Cadet
Any update on whether it is some windows 7 issue and can only be managed by windows 8?

I have the same initial problem. Running freenas 9.3 STABLE after having updated from 8.x Running Windows 7 Professional at my desk. Separate administrator account from my normal windows user. Admin account name's match in freenas and in windows, password too.

I have gone through altering permissions in freenas from Windows to UNIX to Windows again. Tried changing the owner and group owner, tried changing the owner's full name to its login name within freenas, no avail. Everything matches.

It prompts me for a username and password within the windows security tab when I "Enter the object names to select" and press "Check Names." Any new updates would be most appreciated!

Last edited:

Wallybanger

Contributor
I am having this same problem and can't find a solution. Why can't I add these users and groups to the security policy in Windows 7????

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There were some issues, but they were fixed more than a year ago, IIRC.

jotisk

Cadet
I have same problem, users and groups are not listed and cannot be found. I followed this guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/users-and-groups-not-showing-up-in-windows-7.46023/ by Mirfster on clean installation but without any change.
Confirming that under Win7 Admin account is this OK, but user accounts have this problem. Is that problem or standard behavior?

Build

FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)

Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz

Memory 16137MB

Any help will be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mod note: I've locked this thread to minimize confusion. A lot has changed in two and a half years and it's best to not start confusing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.