Cannot add a mirrored drive to an existing single disk pool

LL1201

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I've been using Truenas for a long time, since it was called FreeNAS, and I've never had any issues adding or removing disks from a pool. Currently, I'm using Truenas Scale, and I have a pool with a single 4 TB disk. Today, I tried to add another 4 TB disk to implement RAID 1 (mirrored) for data redundancy. However, when attempting to add the disk to the pool, I noticed that the "Layout" parameter is fixed at "STRIPE," and the help text states, "Read only field: The layout of this device has been preselected to match the layout of the existing Data devices in the pool":
1705090519125.png

Does anyone know how I can add this new disk to the pool in mirrored mode? Thank you.

Arwen

MVP
No, you don't want to add a vDev.

This is how to attach a Mirror device, (though we are requesting the wording to be clearer);
  • Go to "Storage"
  • Under "Topology", select "Manage Devices"
  • Select the stripe with your single disk, (but don't select the current disk)
  • You should now have an "Extend" option to the right, select it
  • Now select your new disk, and press the "Extend" button
  • It should now start re-syncing.
Someone put in a Jira, (iX's bug tracking tool), to get that "Extend" naming changed to "Attach Mirror". Please vote for it;
You will need to have / create a Jira account. The voting is the thumbs up in the upper right corner.

LL1201

Cadet
No, you don't want to add a vDev.

This is how to attach a Mirror device, (though we are requesting the wording to be clearer);
  • Go to "Storage"
  • Under "Topology", select "Manage Devices"
  • Select the stripe with your single disk, (but don't select the current disk)
  • You should now have an "Extend" option to the right, select it
  • Now select your new disk, and press the "Extend" button
  • It should now start re-syncing.
Someone put in a Jira, (iX's bug tracking tool), to get that "Extend" naming changed to "Attach Mirror". Please vote for it;
You will need to have / create a Jira account. The voting is the thumbs up in the upper right corner.
Thank you so much, It works!