Can you move copy your files from storage drives corrupt freenas install on a separate drive?

tdisco

Cadet
My setup, running freenas on a esxi server with the freenas installation on 1 drive and my storage pools on seperate drives. Freenas decided to take a dump and give me the (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): UNMAP failed, switching to WRITE SAME(16) with UNMAP BIO_DELETE error. I want to know if I can just hook up the drive to another computer and copy my stuff off?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
da0:mpt0:0:0:0
Are you using a SAS1 controller for your pool?
give me the (da0:mpt0:0:0:0): UNMAP failed, switching to WRITE SAME(16) with UNMAP BIO_DELETE error
That's just complaining that a TRIM (UNMAP in SCSI-speak) operation failed, which hardly seems like a fatal error. You should probably describe your situation in more detail, because right now there's little useful advice to give.
I want to know if I can just hook up the drive to another computer and copy my stuff off?
Singular drive? No, of course not, you need the whole pool. You could do that, but it strikes me as unlikely to be a productive action, unless your current system is dying.

tdisco

Cadet
1677295886167.png
1677295886167.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
where is that info at
I'll take that as a no, since you would have had to configure it to be passed through to the VM. Which means that you're running virtual disks of some sort, which is a good way of losing data.
Now the question is "how are these disks configured?" Are they virtual disks backed by some sort of RAID on the host? Are they passed through individually?

In any case, your immediate issue is caused by your setup, which is known to be problematic. That said, there's no indication that the system is less than functioning, the messages printed out to the console are merely warnings. What's the status of the pool? Have you tried using the server normally?

tdisco

Cadet
I have 3 physical disks 1 for the freenas OS and the other 2 are for the storage/pools and they are mirrored. Ive reinstalled freenas on drive 1 and it upgraded the installation. I guess Ill keep poking around on it till I get it back working
Hopefully my data is still on drives 2-3

tdisco

Cadet
I was able to get it back up after reinstalling freenas>truenas in the esxi environment. I just have a little networking but I was able to see my files, YAY. I guess its time to get another backup of these files on another medium. thanks for your emotional support:smile: