Can you help with new FreeNAS build MB + CPU + ECC Memory + IPMI

petoz

Dabbler
Hello,
can you help with FreeNAS cheap build (CPU + Motherboard + ECC Memory + IPMI)?
My previous build was:
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL-SF
CPU: Intel G3260@3.3Ghz (discontinued)
RAM: Crucial 2x8 GB ECC DDR3 UDIMM
Now CPU is insaccessible, so I want to find an alternative system with 16 GB ECC RAM, base CPU (iSCSI sharing).
It looks Intel 1151 Socket CPU and Supermicro MB wil be price good.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

petoz

Dabbler
I guess the question is, how cheap?

Did you look at this resource?
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...anges-to-upgrade-as-high-as-512gb-of-ram.110/
No, I didn't read this resource before. I've read FreeNAS Community Hardware Guide 2016-10 Edition Revision 1e), I think it's the latest.
Your recomendation is for systems with much RAM, I will only need 16 or max 32 GB RAM.
Maybe this motherboard will be enough Supermicro X11SSM-F with this Intel Pentium G4560? There will be no plugins, only iSCSI share.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Your recomendation is for systems with much RAM
No, that system is able to be upgraded to a lot of RAM, but the build as described only includes 16GB. a

Soloam

Contributor
I've been looking at your resource, and even exchanged some opinion on another topic with you @Chris Moore and I have one main question, way do most of the builds here on the forum are with unregistered ram? I'm planning on upgrading my system, 32GB of ram are my max and are starting to be very low to my requirements registered ram seams like the way to go but I don't want to compromise the system that I have at the moment and that is very stable.

Thank You

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have one main question, way do most of the builds here on the forum are with unregistered ram?
Many of the system boards and processors that allow for use of Registered RAM are more expensive than people want. I find perfectly acceptable performance with older systems such as I detail here:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...anges-to-upgrade-as-high-as-512gb-of-ram.110/
Using older Xeon processors and Registered memory saves a lot of money compared to purchasing new hardware. It is the same mindset that causes some people to insist on purchasing a new car when a used car is perfectly usable and significantly less expensive. My car is a 1990 Honda Civic that I have been driving since I bought it in 1994. It still does the job, so why do I need to replace it? Eventually, I will be forced to replace it for lack of parts, but it still gets me to work every day. Same with a storage server. If you need more capacity, add more or larger drives. If it is doing the job, it doesn't need replacing. Some people need their storage to be super fast, so there can be a need for speed, but even the older gear I am running will handle 10Gb network traffic without a problem. How fast do you need to go at home? If it is a business or if you are trying to host virtual machines, then it is a different question, but older gear is more than sufficient for most home use.

Soloam

Contributor
That is my main problem, I use some virtual machines, and I have some key services that I need and I can't not have! What is a good cpu with virtual capabilities?

Thank you