Can Ping Server but everything else non-responsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stookdog

Cadet
Hi, I've been having this issue for a few days. I set up freeNAS running 11.2RC1 (my first server) about 2 weeks ago. I run Syncthing, Tautulli, and Plex (was a plugin, trying to run as a jail only but it's giving me issues). As I've been using the the machine normally it will randomly become non-responsive. I can't access the GUI, cannot SSH, and can't access any of the plugins/jails. When I plug a screen into the machine it looks fine and I can still ping the machine. It still appears in my router as connected (And so do all the jails). The only thing that has worked for me is to manually shut the server off and reboot it until this happens again. This issue is getting really annoying and it's making it really hard for me to make much progress setting up and configuring my jails. Help much appreciated.

Hardware stats:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
CPU: 2xE5-2620 Intel Xeon
RAM: 8x4Gb IBM DDR1333 ECC
Cooling: 2xArctic 20 CO heatsinks. Lots of other fans.
PSU: EVGA 850W
Storage: Boot from 32Gb Flash drive, 500Gb SSD (plex metadata and iocage stuff), 5x8Tb WD Drives (2 Reds, 3 whites).
Enclosure: Enthoo Pro

Edit:
In addition to this issue, the server appeared to have had an unscheduled reboot sometime last night.
I looked at the var/log/messages after the reboot and noticed a bunch of lines repeating this phrase:
  • freenas uwsgi: [sentry.errors.uncaught:702] ['timeout: timed out', ' File "django/core/handlers/exception.py", line 42, in inner', ' File "django/core/handlers/base.py", line 244, in _legacy_get_response', ' File "freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py", line 296, in process_request', ' File "freenasUI/middleware/auth.py", line 8, in authenticate', ' File "freenasUI/middleware/client.py", line 20, in __enter__', ' File "middlewared/client/client.py", line 320, in __init__', ' File "middlewared/client/client.py", line 313, in __init__', ' File "middlewared/client/client.py", line 170, in connect', ' File "ws4py/client/__init__.py", line 215, in connect']
  • Nov 12 01:45:02 freenas uwsgi: [sentry.errors:674] Sentry responded with an API error: RateLimited(None)
Today I've had four errors sent to me from the NAS, here's the first bit of each (I can post the whole error if needed):
1. (two times now)
* Unable to run alert source 'Samba4'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
2. (four times now)
Gone alerts:
* Unable to run alert source 'HTTPDBindAddress'
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 358, in __run_source
alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
3. (two times now)
New alerts:
* Unable to run alert source 'ZpoolCapacity'

I have no idea what is causing these errors though and am not sure what exactly they mean. Thanks again.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

What else is in /var/log/messages around the time of the freeze?

Stookdog

Cadet
To be honest I don't know exactly what time the machine froze but it happens so frequently I'll try to find out as soon as I'm back home. As an update, I thought there was a chance I screwed up the boot drive (Reading other posts made me think this) so I reinstalled the OS. No change. I noticed that the SMB share was almost nonfunctional even before the freeze due to how slow it is (5-20 seconds to open each folder after each click, regardless of files inside). I decided to start removing processes to see if something extra was causing it and as soon as I stopped the Syncthing jail the system was MUCH faster. No issues w/ SMB share anymore or slow GUI. It has only been like 12 hours so I'm going to give it another day or two to see if it still freezes and I'll post here. I'm not sure if something was wrong with Syncthing or if it was just overloading my CPU.

Just found this post in the forums that seemed to be having similar issues. This could have been the culprit.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ui-ssh-terminal-when-running-syncthing.64044/

I don't have syncthing plugin installed and I am seeing the same problem on 11.2-RELEASE. Is there a solution to this problem?

MrDragon

Cadet
"Me-Too" post for the "Unable to run alert source 'Samba4' " alert email.
Started after update from 11.1-U6 to 11.2-RELEASE.

Fortunately, though, overall the machine does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.