Can I use the SSH key pair made during Snapshot Replication setup for normal SSH?

keboose

Explorer
I put together a small secondary freenas box, that I put in a remote location, to receive replication snapshots from my main machine. I disabled password login, and used the "temporary auth token" method when setting up, with no specified replication user, so presumably the remote user is root. The replication runs fine, but I want to be able to SSH in using PuTTY, and I didn't think to make a second SSH keypair before I went off and installed my remote machine in its new home.

I see in the replication settings on the main machine there are 3 keys, labelled: "ssh-rsa", "ecdsa-sha2-nistp256", and "ssh-ed25519". Would I be able to import any of these into PuTTY or PuTTYGen so I can SSH into the remote backup to do administrative stuff?

keboose

Explorer
Anti-climactic update that I 'fixed' the issue. I stopped by the remote location for other reasons (family member's house,) and took a few minutes to log in and assign a key to a user on the box, that I made with PuTTYGen. Now I can log in remotely. Don't be a dummy like me and forget to setup SSH access before your replication leaves the local network!

If anyone knows the answer to the original question, I would still appreciate an answer. I don't know the in's and out's of the replication setup procedure besides following the sample guides in the manual, so I would like to know where the private key is stored after the semi-automatic setup (whether that be on the remote or local machine,) so I can convert it using PuTTYGen and be able to use it on my regular PC with SSH

SMnasMAN

Contributor
i too would like to know the answer to this (where the private key is stored after the semi-automatic setup of replication)

More so as a security concern/question-
ie if you have FN replication setup between serverSRC and serverDST, and a hacker gets root (or console) access to serverSRC, doesnt that now mean they can use the replication's ssh private key to ssh into serverDST and wipe your replicated data?

thanks