Can FreeNAS tell me if I need more RAM?

LennySh

Cadet
Not new to FreeNAS, but newly back to using it. You can see my current specs in my signature.

My question is, what reports or commands can I run that can point me in the direction of whether or not I need to add more RAM?

I just want to know what to start monitoring for now and future upgrades. I already plan to continue buying ram periodically to fill up my server, but was just curious. My ARC hit ratio is averaging 91% for the last 24 hours.

Thanks in advance!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not new to FreeNAS, but newly back to using it. You can see my current specs in my signature.

My question is, what reports or commands can I run that can point me in the direction of whether or not I need to add more RAM?

I just want to know what to start monitoring for now and future upgrades. I already plan to continue buying ram periodically to fill up my server, but was just curious. My ARC hit ratio is averaging 91% for the last 24 hours.

Thanks in advance!
Is your performer good enough for you? If it's fine then you don't need more RAM.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
91% is nice. There's 9% room for improvement. ;-)

Basically when it's performing the way you want, you have enough RAM.

When doing VM vmdk storage, for example, I like enough RAM (and L2ARC) so that when I run "zpool iostat" I almost never see read activity. The entire working set is cached in RAM. Only writes are going to the pool. Once you get to *this* point, more RAM is no longer helpful. Up to that, though, it's up to you.