Can an encrypted volume be converted into an unencrypted volume?

FreeNasJoe

Dabbler
Is it possible to convert an existing encrypted volume into an unencrypted volume?
I found the post "Remove encryption from volume?" from 03/26/2013 that indicates no. Here is the reply from ixdwhite:
Sorry, but it is not currently possible to convert an existing unencrypted volume into an encrypted volume, or convert an encrypted volume into an unencrypted one. If this is a valuable feature for you, I invite you to submit a enhancement request to the FreeNAS bug tracker at http://support.freenas.org/.
So this was not possible in 2013. Has this changed? Is it now possible to convert an existing encrypted volume into an unencrypted volume?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it now possible to convert an existing encrypted volume into an unencrypted volume?
It is, and has been for a very long time (in fact, the procedure was posted in 2013), but it requires some CLI-fu. See:

hprompt

Cadet
Hi All,
I have an existing computer solely running Freenas 11.3-U5 ZFS with (3) 10TB WD drives that are encrypted, I have a complete backup of all my data. I'm wondering do I have to remove (geli key) encryption from all the drives first to use them with a fresh new installation of truenas core or scale on the same hardware? I see there's a procedure for this entitled "How to remove encryption from a ZFS volume (while keeping the data)" dated 2013.

hprompt

Cadet
AFAIK, the procedure wouldn't have changed.
ok thanks for the fast reply about the procedure. my main question is:

Do I have to remove the (geli key) encryption from all the drives first to use them with a fresh new installation of truenas core or scale on the same hardware? I have a complete of all my data

danb35

Hall of Famer
For SCALE I'd think you'd need to remove GELI encryption, as AFAIK Linux doesn't do GELI. I'm pretty sure you could upgrade from 11.3 to CORE with an encrypted pool, but I'm not sure if a fresh installation of CORE would import such a pool.

hprompt

Cadet
For SCALE I'd think you'd need to remove GELI encryption, as AFAIK Linux doesn't do GELI. I'm pretty sure you could upgrade from 11.3 to CORE with an encrypted pool, but I'm not sure if a fresh installation of CORE would import such a pool.
I'm going to setup a fresh install with a new pool in either core or scale and just put whatever files I want that are backed up
not importing anything

hprompt

Cadet
If you aren't importing the existing pool, its encryption status doesn't seem relevant at all.
so what i get from this is:
1. format my 3 drives
2. install new core or scale on my hardware
3. create new pool
4. add whatever I want back to the new pool

danb35

Hall of Famer
Certainly you can do that. And if you do, this thread is utterly irrelevant to you--the subject here is taking an existing pool with GELI encryption, and removing the encryption, keeping all the data in place. If you're wanting to do that, the post I linked almost two years ago claims to tell you how. But what you're suggesting avoids the question entirely.

hprompt

Cadet
Certainly you can do that. And if you do, this thread is utterly irrelevant to you--the subject here is taking an existing pool with GELI encryption, and removing the encryption, keeping all the data in place. If you're wanting to do that, the post I linked almost two years ago claims to tell you how. But what you're suggesting avoids the question entirely.
Hey There
Sorry for the long drawn out run around, guess I should have read more before posting.
thanks for your help