Can a pool have two different discs?

kukuruz28

Cadet
Greeting,
Can a pool have two different discs?
I have one disk of 450 gb, and one of 80 gb...
Can they do it together? or do I have to get another 450 or 80?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
A pool can have many VDEVs. A VDEV can have one or more disks.

The question you really need to ask yourself is what am I going to put in that pool and how do I want to use that?

If you're just dumping media files that are stored elsewhere (or you don't care if they are lost), then a striped pool of single-disk VDEVs is fine, which will give you the total storage capacity of the 2 disks. If you lose a single disk, all content on the pool is lost. (<<WARNING - be sure to understand that)

If you wanted to add redundancy (mirrored VDEV), you can do that (but only if you started the pool with the 80GB disk) and it will lock the capacity of the VDEV to that 80GB... sounds like not what you wanted.

you probably should just read the ZFS primer before using ZFS...

kukuruz28

Cadet
I'm new to this and I don't quite understand what you're talking about,
means when I go to create a new pool
throw this out....
Is there any option for me to create a pool without two identical disks?
If there is, I would need help writing some procedure for me
Snimka zaslona 2024-01-29 164529.png

sretalla