Building FreeNAS server

ash77

Cadet
I’m assembling a FreeNAS conversion of an existing computer. It currently has a desktop CPU, non ECC memory, etc., so some of the computer will need to be replaced. I’ve built computers with desktop CPUs in the past, but this is my first Xeon build. I’ve been looking at Xeon CPUs for a while and it’s somewhat confusing.

The server will be for personal use. I will also be running MariaDB, Seafile, and email on the server. Other services may be added in the future, but transcoding will not be done on this server. That being said, I would like the system to be more powerful than currently needed to allow some growing room.

Case
  • CSE-846E16-R1200B (has SAS2/6GbS expander) (already have this)

CPU
  • Perhaps Xeon E5-1650?

Motherboard
  • Supermicro X10SRi-F?

Memory
  • 64 GB ECC expandable to at least 128 GB

HBA
  • LSI 9240-8I

Boot drive
  • 128 GB SSD (already have this)

Data drives
  • 13 x Seagate ST10000NM0086 10TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (chosen from Backblaze failure report)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Last edited:

Bozon

Contributor
I’m assembling a FreeNAS conversion of an existing computer. It currently has a desktop CPU, non ECC memory, etc., so some of the computer will need to be replaced. I’ve built computers with desktop CPUs in the past, but this is my first Xeon build. I’ve been looking at Xeon CPUs for a while and it’s somewhat confusing.

The server will be for personal use. I will also be running MariaDB, Seafile, and email on the server. Other services may be added in the future, but transcoding will not be done on this server. That being said, I would like the system to be more powerful than currently needed to allow some growing room.

Case
  • CSE-846E16-R1200B (has SAS2/6GbS expander) (already have this)

CPU
  • Perhaps Xeon E5-1650?

Motherboard
  • Supermicro X10SRi-F?

Memory
  • 64 GB ECC expandable to at least 128 GB

HBA
  • I have a LSI SAS 9750-4I. Is this good or should I get a different adapter? I ask because some of the recommended adapters (LSI SAS 9240) on the hardware recommendations resource page are RAID controllers.

Boot drive
  • 128 GB SSD (already have this)

Data drives
  • 13 x Seagate ST10000NM0086 10TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (chosen from Backblaze failure report)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!
All of the recommended “raid” controllers are intended to be flashed to HBA IT mode. So they aren’t actually running as raid cards. See the posts about this.

Snow

Patron
Looks good May save your self some trouble and Just get a LSI Card that is in IR/IT mode I have a post with all the cards if you need help finding one.
Freenas Post

ash77

Cadet
Looks good May save your self some trouble and Just get a LSI Card that is in IR/IT mode I have a post with all the cards if you need help finding one.
Freenas Post

That list is really useful. I updated my configuration with a compatible HBA.

Snow

Patron
Your Welcome Sir