Building Around The W680 Chipset

Davvo

MVP
I'll keep an eye out. From what I can see, the Xeon E-2378G retailed for around $550 two years ago. I think that's around the top of what I'd spend on a CPU for a NAS server, but seeing it market up used for $800-900 is mind boggling.
I might be remembering wrong, but hasn't it been discontinued from production?

chmod777

Dabbler
It's a crappy refresh and there are much better options. Going latest is never a good idea, especially for consumer hardware.
What would you recommend for someone that wants to build out a ton of storage 60TB+ with probably a raidz2 setup? I may or may not run plex on it as I have another NUC for that. ECC memory seems a must. One of the reasons I am interested in the latest/greatest is I am not sure what kind of performance I need to do image object detection on 4 live 1080p/4k streams I plan to integrate in the future. I need to make sure I have a free PCIe slot for any future GPU I might consider. I am looking at doing something with OpenVINO and image object detection on live video streams. It is really hard to guage what I need to do this.

razmspiele

Dabbler
I might be remembering wrong, but hasn't it been discontinued from production?
That would certainly explain why it's seemingly impossible to buy one at anything resembling a reasonable price. Question is, what chip has comparable or better specs in the $500-600 range that I could drop in a Supermicro board?

From what I can see, if I want anything newer, that only leaves the latest Sapphire Rapids-based generation and apparently they have around 50 different SKUs to parse through. Doing a cursory search, it seems that people aren't too keen on it anyway.

Davvo

MVP

Davvo

MVP
What would you recommend for someone that wants to build out a ton of storage 60TB+ with probably a raidz2 setup? I may or may not run plex on it as I have another NUC for that. ECC memory seems a must. One of the reasons I am interested in the latest/greatest is I am not sure what kind of performance I need to do image object detection on 4 live 1080p/4k streams I plan to integrate in the future. I need to make sure I have a free PCIe slot for any future GPU I might consider. I am looking at doing something with OpenVINO and image object detection on live video streams. It is really hard to guage what I need to do this.
I suggest opening your own thread and explaining in detail your needs.

asap2go

Patron
If you use frigate for object detection then you can use a little google coral USB detector.
Works flawlessly and extremely efficient (~2-3W).

And eight core CPU is probably more than you'll ever need except you go hard into Containers/VMs.