Building a NAS for streaming to popcornhour's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys!

I want to build a NAS for home use only but with medium to great capabilities of future expansion to 15+ TB

I have 3 nmt's (popcornhour ones) so I want to go for a full gigabite system with ZFS file system.

I have chosen only the case and processor yet because I am clueless to what mobo type to buy. I do not want ULTRA expensive things altough I know the ram needs for ZFS, etc.

I want your suggestions for: Motherboard which model's you recommend?

I've seen the thread about hardware suggestions but the supermicro listed ones seem a bit expensive.

The processor will be
Intel® Pentium® Processor G2020 (socket 1155)
(3M Cache, 2.90 GHz)

the case will be
FRACTAL DESIGN ARC NODE 304

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've seen the thread about hardware suggestions but the supermicro listed ones seem a bit expensive.

Really? Because they actually tend to be cheaper than equivalent products from the competition, especially when you consider that those boards may come with a Realtek ethernet chipset which will turn into a candidate for replacement or poor performance. So if you take a X9SCM at $150 and subtract the cost of an Intel Pro/1000 at $35, you need to find a suitable board for $115 or less to be able to have even a chance at winning the expense argument, and then, the Supermicro will start pounding on you in the expandability department.

Ok thanks.

As to the Motherboard X9SCM does not seem compatible with G2020, as reported in here, is it true?

I would want to go for
G2020+ X9SCM

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I actually just finished responding to that in this thread.

It is supposed to be compatible, as far as I can tell, and people have actually built systems with them, easy enough to Google. However, I am not one of those people. I list it in the recommendations as an alternative for those who cannot afford the $150 Xeon tax.

Yeah I noticed that. I will buy them then, you guess it does not involve any upgrading and/or tweaking so ?

btw X9SCM comes with IPMI ?

Ok thanks for being so kind. Because Im in doubt with this:

Imagine I buy X9SCM-B (or whatever the class of the board which DOESNT come with IPMI is), i pretend to run freenas from USB stick but then how can I log into Bios in the first run, to change boot order if I dont have image? Or do they come with inbuilt graphics ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The "-B" is just notation for the bulk pak version which omits the retail box, cables, etc. and is basically just the board itself. It is meant for people integrating the product into a Supermicro chassis. So "X9SCM-F-B" would be the bulk pak version with IPMI. "-O" is notation for retail kit.

The Supermicro boards do not utilize the Intel graphics support a CPU may offer. They have their own Nuvotron graphics controller, a "server-grade" (one of the few times that's a euphemism for "low-performance") graphics controller that is intimately married with the IPMI/BMC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.