Broken RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_

Cadet
"If you are running a current kernel r273872 or later, please upgrade
your kernel to r278907 or later immediately and regenerate keys."
[https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-February/054580.html]

As my FreeNAS version uses kernel r275790+f84e770 (dmesg), I guess that means my system is affected... More important for me than regenerating SSH keys is the question if my whole encrypted ZFS is (cryptographically) useless and has to be recreated from scratch.

Another problem is: the last flawlessly booting and working version of FreeNAS is a version from December (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412240734), I tried updating multiple times in January and three days ago but the system always has problems coming up again (hanging on the mountroot prompt, or "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'") and I rollback to the previous version. I am using a C2750D4I mainboard with current BIOS, which should work well with FreeNAS but after the updates it is not. (edit: ... and I am fearing that the coming update that fixes the RNG cannot be applied to my system)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
"If you are running a current kernel r273872 or later, please upgrade
your kernel to r278907 or later immediately and regenerate keys."
[https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-February/054580.html]

As my FreeNAS version uses kernel r275790+f84e770 (dmesg), I guess that means my system is affected... More important for me than regenerating SSH keys is the question if my whole encrypted ZFS is (cryptographically) useless and has to be recreated from scratch.

Another problem is: the last flawlessly booting and working version of FreeNAS is a version from December (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412240734), I tried updating multiple times in January and three days ago but the system always has problems coming up again (hanging on the mountroot prompt, or "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'") and I rollback to the previous version. I am using a C2750D4I mainboard with current BIOS, which should work well with FreeNAS but after the updates it is not. (edit: ... and I am fearing that the coming update that fixes the RNG cannot be applied to my system)
Sir if you read the follow-on threads, you will see that none of this (almost certainly) applies to your FreeNAS build.

It seems to only affect people running -current, and it will (of course) only affect keys generated since that change.

Now I'll admit to not reading this too carefully, so I could be wrong. In any case, right or wrong in this case, this is exactly the kind of thing the guys at ixSystems get in front of. I think everything's fine.

D

dlavigne

Regarding the can't boot after an upgrade, try to install the lastest STABLE. If that fails, create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.