SOLVED Bootloop with Optane 900p

Lesani

Dabbler
I've had a 240GB Optane 900p PCIe SSD in my main PC for a while, and today decided to put it into my NAS (see signature) as a SLOG.

When I put the Optane in, the system loads GRUB and TrueNAS starts to load, the last message it shows me is the USB devices (my UPS), then the cursor flashes for a few seconds and the system resets. When I remove the 900p the reaches the same state, the cursor flashes the same, and then it continues booting listing something about raid then quickly changes resolution and continues booting.

The 900p woks fine in my windows PC... I can't find any log from the failed boot(s) so I don't know if it might flash some message just before resetting. I cannot see anything through iDRAC remote console.

Last edited:
Have you tried wiping the Optane before installing it in your TrueNAS? It is just a guess, but it sounds like there is something on that disk that is causing issues during the boot process. I have 900P's in both my FreeNAS bare metal units, and they work fine. The 900P's have never been installed in anything but the TrueNAS.

Lesani

Dabbler
I have not, it still contains an NTFS partition (non-boot) from my windows PC… Since TrueNAS started loading after Grub I thought it would not be an issue, but will try wiping this afternoon and report here if it worked or the issue persists, thanks!

//edit: I modified the original post above to indicate that it is the PCIe Version of the 900p, not the Sata/Sas/m2 whatever other versions are available

Lesani

Dabbler
Update:
Preparing my disk in windows forst, removing all partitions solved the issue, thanks @Elliot Dierksen
TBA5j94.png