Booting from an M.2 SSD w/PCIe adapter on my Supermicro 2U?

scrappy

Patron
My Supermicro 2U X8DTN+F server currently boots from a very old 2.5" laptop spinning rust drive inside of a cheap, self-powered USB drive enclosure. While it gets the job done, I worry this hard drive could crap out at any moment. Since all my server drive bays are occupied with storage drives, I would need an alternate way to boot FreeNAS and came across this M.2 SSD PCIe Adapter on Amazon. With that adapter and perhaps this M.2 SSD drive - will these two components work well to boot FreeNAS on my older Supermicro server?

See my signature for full server specs.

Stevie_1der

Explorer
The SSD you picked is a SATA type and it will fit in the upper slot of the PCIe adapter you picked.
But you would have to connect a SATA cable to the PCIe adapter to get it working.
So you could also choose a SATA SSD, which would be cheaper.

I suppose you don't have a spare SATA or SAS port, am I right?
Then you would need a PCIe M.2 SSD instead, but I don't know if your X8DTN+-F supports NVME boot (I suppose it doesn't)...

scrappy

Patron
I do have spare SATA/SAS ports on the Mother board which is why I think this setup could work for me so long as there aren't any operational conflicts using this boot setup with my 9240-8i SATA/SAS storage controller card (I don't know why there would be - just throwing that out there).

scrappy

Patron

scrappy

Patron
Follow up: I purchased and installed the ADATA 128GB M.2 SSD + PCIe Adapter in my server as a boot drive and everything is working great so far. I no longer receive CAM errors like I used to get running USB drives and the whole FreeNAS system is a bit more responsive.
InkedIMG_20190327_185600_LI.jpg InkedIMG_20190327_193406_LI.jpg InkedIMG_20190327_193450_LI.jpg