Bitwarden On-prem with byve mssql container keeps restarting.

victort

Guru
TrueNAS Core (latest)
Dell Poweredge R510
Dual Xeon E5620 CPU
64 GB ECC RAM

Trying to get bitwarden on-prem to work using a VM and bitwarden self hosted install guide.

VM stats
Ubuntu LTS Server (latest)
1 CPU
2 Core
1 Thread

Just curious if anyone has gotten this to work. It works fine on scale using the KVM hypervisor.

The problem is that the mssql container hangs in a continuous restart loop. Bitwarden forums aren’t very helpful.

I’m thinking it’s a bhyve problem at this point. Not urgent, but would like to get some thoughts.

victort

Guru
After looking at the logs of one of the containers, I’m finding most of the errors are because “no space left on device”
Is this ZFS or bhyve thing?

My VM is 32 GB (more than the recommended 25 GB by bitwarden, with 4 GB ram.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you run TrueNAS CORE Vaultwarden works perfectly in a FreeBSD jail. No need for all the virtualisation overhead.

"No space left on device" is probably neither a ZFS nor a bhyve thing but simply the fact that the virtual hard disk of the Linux VM is full.

Try:
  • zpool list on the TN CORE host to check if there is space available in your zpool.
  • df inside the Linux VM to check if the disk has filled up with "something".
But for a 100% open source product that is well supported on FreeBSD I would go without a VM.

victort

Guru
Excellent suggestion.

Took me a while to get everything working behind caddy and also another instance of caddy as a reverse proxy.

But it’s now up and running fine. Not too many guides out there, but it’s as simple as
Code:
pkg install vaultwarden
and
Code:
pkg install caddy
then following a few steps to configure and turn on each of them as a service.