Bhyve NIC VM Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Hamel

Cadet
Original Bug Report: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23927

Hello,

Is it just me or is it just having this "feature" only set as "Nice To Have" strike a nerve with someone else? Why would you implement a virtual machine feature in a web interface, but not give a choice for the end user to associate that network interface to something on that system? That's the definition of a half baked featured.

Due to this bug, I cannot setup something like pfSense or any other system requiring multiple NICs, which is quite disappointing. Hopefully someone else has hit this limitation already.

Stux

MVP
Its not going to block the release if it's not there... is it?

Ergo, it's nice to have, but not critical, or a blocker.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Due to this bug, I cannot setup something like pfSense
Which would be a bad idea anyway, as discussed both here and on the pfSense forums.

Assigning NICs to VMs is useful in a few scenarios, but there are higher priority items.

Ryan Hamel

Cadet
Which would be a bad idea anyway, as discussed both here and on the pfSense forums.

While I may agree on certain aspects of that, it still doesn't mean that the technical capability should exist.

Please explain or link me to reasons why I should setup another server to be a firewall when I have a Supermicro 3U 16 bay E3 based server that sits mostly idle waiting for backups. It just seems horribly inefficient when someone lives in an area with a high electric bill.

If an IP is not bound to the interface (say for example eth1), how can it be attacked? If I need to protect myself from all corners, I could just write IPFW rules to accept traffic from the NIC to the specific tap interface and drop it going elsewhere.

Stux

MVP

Arwen

MVP
If an IP is not bound to the interface (say for example eth1), how can it be attacked?
Just taking this part... (The following you may know already.)

In Unix, IPs are bound to a specific network interface based on sub-nets. Further, using multiple IPs in the
same sub-net, but on different network interfaces may not have the desired result. Linux and Solaris have
special code to handle this, (Solaris' IPMP works great in Active-Active mode).

On the converse, attempting to use multiple sub-nets on the same network interface, (without VLANing), is
a bit un-usual. I did it for more than 10 years, and while it worked okay, it was not great for security.

m0nkey_

MVP
While I may agree on certain aspects of that, it still doesn't mean that the technical capability should exist.
FreeNAS, first and foremost is a file storage appliance. Virtual machines are an afterthought and are only coming as it's baked in natively to the FreeBSD kernel. If you want more control over virtual machines, install VMware ESXI, XenServer or ProxMox.

Status
Not open for further replies.