bhyve and ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Greetings,

I have successfully installed a FreeBSD guest on bhyve running on a FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351) system.
When I try to follow the steps to do the same for a ubuntu distribution (2º guest) the iohyve tool hangs during the install command.
My environment is as follows:

Getting Node03 iohyve properties...
bargs -A_-H_-P
boot 0
con nmdm1
cpu 4
description Tue Aug 2 00:52:44 WEST 2016
install yes
loader grub-bhyve
name Node03
os debian
persist 1
ram 4G
size 400G
tap tap1

I successfully fetched the ISO from canonical but the install command just seems to hang. However I notice a slight delay when I was installing the FreeBSD system.

Can someone please point me any mistake in the environment or even if there are any limitations when using bhyve with debian based OSes?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Which ISO? If you fetched the desktop installer that will not work as it need a graphics device. Your best bet is to get the minimal (or server) ISO? You can get the minimal ISO from

I did get the server ISO. But with the minimal CD it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much for your help.

Wouter

Dabbler

So, the desktop installer won't work you say? I'm also having trouble installing Ubuntu 16.04 desktop on FreeNAS 9.10. But then why has http://vmrc.bsd.lv/ that I run on my FreeNAS system a template for ubuntu1604desktop ??

KevDog

Patron

Wouter

Dabbler

KevDog

Patron
I believe you could install the desktop packages -- however it looks like your looking for a more graphical interface. Without the desktop packages its possible to forward an X connection over ssh and get simple X windows -- I used terminals and even displayed a running firefox process on the server to the client. If you needed something a little bit more robust than a remote display server, I suppose a VNC client could be used or something similar like RDP. I'm sorry I can't post where I saw this information, however I remember seeing a few posts on this forum that spoke about using VNC. My server is headless, so I really don't have a need for a desktop, I suppose if your server is not, it could definitely be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.