Best way to give IP address to a tap interface?

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello,

So basically I want to connect freenas to virtual machines using internal only interfaces, I can create a tap (using tunables) end then link the VM to it.

But then in the freenas UI this tap interface doesn't appear. If I try to add a new interface it simply says that all interfaces are in use. And this is a regression since 9.10 because in such version I was able to see and configure all interfaces from the interface physical or not.

Basically this problem is in pair with this one:

https://forums.freenas.org/threads/...interfaces-section-11-1-u2.62010/#post-478577

And if I open a bug it will be closed because at some point there will be a total network overhaul that covers the issue. In the meantime my configuration is broken.

Now my question is: Can i force somehow tap interfaces to appear on the UI? If it's not possible what's the best way to setup the IP at boot? I mean in a way that doesn't interferes with the UI.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But then in the freenas UI this tap interface doesn't appear. If I try to add a new interface it simply says that all interfaces are in use. And this is a regression since 9.10 because in such version I was able to see and configure all interfaces from the interface physical or not.
You should submit this as a feature request. The developers may not realize they disabled something that was being used. They can't fix it if you don't say anything.

What version of FreeNAS are you using now?

asimov-solensan

Contributor
I just upgraded to 11.2 right now. I want to access my freenas traversing a pfsense that is also virtualized in it.

This is a setup that worked since 9.10 (the regression was in 11.something), and I wanted to rethink the whole system because it was done using iohyve and many scripts that set up bridges and other things at boot.

I wanted to rethink the whole thing with 11.2, now that virtualization and bridges are better managed. And indeed it is, now I have got my pfsense and a virtualized openvswitch that manages networks inside and outside the freenas environment.

And this point is the only thing that keeps me away to having it the way I want.

And i have opened several bugs regarding networking, and most of them just got closed because, everything related to network will be sorted at some point, there is bug for this. I will try anyway.