Best way to clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAZIRUS

Cadet
Hi all

I currently have a FreeNAS 11 box with 4x 3TB in z1 as 1 pool. I want to upgrade the storage and am adding 4 more drives (I bought and flashed a M1015 to IT mode) but splitting as follows:
1x1TB for downloads and non important stuff, no redundancy
2x3TB in mirror for photos and important stuff, prob stick my jails on here too
5x3TB in z2 for general media etc. This will reuse the 4 drives I have now.

What's the best way to wipe the drives I have now and enable them to be seen and reconfigured in the new setup?

I'm still learning a lot about FreeNAS so would appreciate any best practice tips.

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's the best way to wipe the drives I have now and enable them to be seen and reconfigured in the new setup?
Detach the existing pool, and check the box for "mark disks as new". But why would you want to put the "important" stuff on a pool with less redundancy than the "general media" pool? Just put all 7 3 TB disks together into a single RAIDZ2 pool, and discard the 1 TB disk entirely.

LAZIRUS

Cadet
Many thanks for the reply danb35.
I was always under the impression that a mirror was better than parity for redundancy?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was always under the impression that a mirror was better than parity for redundancy?
I'm not sure why you'd be under the impression that one disk's redundancy was better than two disks' redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.