Best Practices - Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd, Transmission in ONE Jail or individual jails each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh D

Dabbler
Hi,

I am newly setting up a FreeNAS 9.1.1 box, now that all the pieces are in place with the recent release of Plex Media Server (PMS).

Currently, I figured that it's probably best to have PMS running in its own jail but for all the downloa agents and post processing plugins such as Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd, Transmission, what is the best practice for everyone?

To lump all the download plugins into one Jail or have them running in their own? Will be very keen to know what all the gurus are doing as best practices.

Thank you!

Josh

calgarychris

Contributor
I'm not a guru, but I wanted Sab, SB and CP all in one jail mainly so that my open ports are all in one place (one jail) and secondly, so I don't have to muck around with mount points between one jail and another for post-processing. I don't use the sickbeard to sab script, I have SB and CP looking into separate directories under sab and post processing when they find something. Works for me and it's nice and simple to set up.

I don't use Transmission, although if I did I'd probably put it in the same jail.

Good luck, have fun.

calgarychris

Contributor
I use port #s, so they're all on 192.168.x.xxx:8000 :9000 and :5000 for example and then I port forward three external ports to each individual internal port in my router...you can probably use proxys and such, but I haven't bothered. I think there's an nginx thread that talks about it...

Ok so I can install these through freenas (not have to download the individual pbis) and specify ip address and port numbers correct? I have a sab-server now and I use one ip with different port numbers as you specified. I would like to keep this setup. If I can get sab, couchpotato, and sickbeard setup and freenas that would free up a pc.

calgarychris

Contributor
I downloaded the pbis off Master Gollum's github link because when I tried to install via freenas they all ended up in separate jails. I basically created a pbi jail and then selected it and chose to add a pbi (each individually). I had preconfigured the jails under jail config so the ip range is specified upon creation. When the pbi loads, you can then just go through the respective setup wizard

I downloaded the pbis off Master Gollum's github link because when I tried to install via freenas they all ended up in separate jails. I basically created a pbi jail and then selected it and chose to add a pbi (each individually). I had preconfigured the jails under jail config so the ip range is specified upon creation. When the pbi loads, you can then just go through the respective setup wizard

Awesome. Thanks so much.

ShinobiX9X

Contributor
I have them all in seperate jails, and that works fine for me. I have no trouble with the portforwarding as i use openvpn on the freenas.
for me it's good that way, as i don't know much about unix, if i do wrong settings in one jail, i don't destroy the others at the same time.
for testing also it's good for me to be in seperate jails.

exactrawr

Dabbler
I'm not a guru, but I wanted Sab, SB and CP all in one jail mainly so that my open ports are all in one place (one jail) and secondly, so I don't have to muck around with mount points between one jail and another for post-processing. I don't use the sickbeard to sab script, I have SB and CP looking into separate directories under sab and post processing when they find something. Works for me and it's nice and simple to set up.

I don't use Transmission, although if I did I'd probably put it in the same jail.

Good luck, have fun.

Could you explain to me how you set up your post processing? I'm looking todo a similar thing to you. Thanks

calgarychris

Contributor
If I were to set this up, basically on the Freenas side I would have directories for movies and one for tv. So this may or may not work for you...(and I'm going mostly from memory!) :P

In the jail, you create the same folders under /usr/pbi/sabnzbdplus-amd64/sabnzbd/Downloads/complete/tv (and movies etc) and link them to the Freenas directories above using the "add storage" option on the jails screen.

In sab under categories set it to download tv into the tv directory (literally just input "tv" for category, folder and tags)

In Sickbeard under Config-->Post processing set the TV download directory to the /usr/pbi/sabnzbdplus-amd64/sabnzbd/Downloads/complete/tv directory noted above and tick the scan and process box (I also rename)

What this setup will do is SB will find a show, send it to sab which downloads it into the tv directory and then SB picks it up and moves it into the tv directory that contain your shows (on the jail side). These then appear on the Freenas side. Note for simplicity I would also just chmod 777 the directories involved so there are no permissions issues - this may not work for you if you don't like the openness...

I would do the same with Couchpotato and a variation with Headphones (I would drop the downloaded files into the "Automatically add to iTunes" directory). Finally I would create a generic "watched" directory (with sub directories for each media type) on both sides of the jail which would allow me to manually drop nzbs should I choose and have them get picked up by the appropriate program.

I say would because naturally I only use usenet for Linux iso's.

exactrawr

Dabbler
Thank you very much for that! Big help. When you say chmod 777 do you mean shell: chmod 777 your/jail/plugins/path/here then set the permissions in Sab to 777? Or am I confusing myself?

I'm having the issue where Sab won't save my folder options. But it will save the categories I specify

Thanks!

calgarychris

Contributor
Personally I just went into my shell and chown'd the pbi directory to the respective owner (_sabnzbd:_sabnzbd or whatever) for each program and then used chmod. When you've done that you should be able to save changes to configs I would think and then set sab to 777.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.