Based on general community knowledge, will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontiac

Cadet
TLDR;

- Looking for a PC based solution so I can copy all files FROM my Drobo weekly. (Hardware spec = I5 almost 3ghz, 8gig memory, 6 SATA, GbNet)

- What kind of configuration do I need to setup FreeNAS to allow for new platter drives to be added to the pool and still maintain some resemblance to redundancy?

- What magic, what position of my tongue, and do I really have to use only one foot to dance the RAID dance out in front of my complex, and a few dozen people, to get a setup where its easy to maintain the system? If I have to wear a dress this time, all bets are off.

- Looking for a solution that is as close to 'set and forget' as possible in regards to volume management, but I understand that a fully 'S&F' situation may not be entirely possible. This solution doesn't need a bullseye, but I won't argue if I get one.

Long Story;

I have a Drobo 5N which is happily running. I'm VERY pleased with it, but this past weekend, I had a significant scare with it, which kind of put me on a path to scratching the idea that I need a portable PC gaming rig, and reconfiguring said machine to backup to the Drobo.

My day job is managing hundreds of Linux and Windows machines all over the world, and I've been working with PCs since the advent of the Commodore Vic-20. I've no fear when it comes to dealing with machines (Hardware, software, soldering and replacing caps, etc), but I absolutely hate investing time and effort into something that just isn't going to do what I want at the end of the game, which is why I'm here. I don't like compromises when it comes to expanding the capabilities of my hardware, and ending up in a position of 'Once you do this, you're locked in as-is' isn't acceptable.

Most anything I've seen dealing with custom built NAS setups is "This is how it is done" and "This is what I can do **glamor shot**" and not so much of "This is why you should", and even less so of "This is what to expect when XYZ happens". But even with the "This is what to expect", I'm missing out on how easy it is to kind of future proof things with FreeNAS or OpenNAS or any other Desktop PC based NAS setup.

Knowing how RAID works, there are perks and follies in how each mode works, but I'm way out of the loop with current technologies and how to implement them in a home scenario where data retention lets me sleep in my own bed (Wife said so). I have a rough guestimate to how Drobo handles the data management, but FreeNAS isn't "Beyond RAID".

The kind of information I'm looking for is what I can do NOW to allow for expandability later on down the road that isn't going to cause a lot of grief. I understand that if I replace drives that I'll want equal or larger drives to be put into the system. I'm cool with that. What I'm not clear on is adding brand new drives to the pool and having them available, and what kind of magic I have to perform to get it to work. I get that the difference between Drobo and software NAS is that I'll need to do more fiddling on the software side with the PC to get the effect I want. It isn't as brain dead easy as a Drobo, but I'd like an 'easy enough' solution for when things break or I want more room.

My desire is to get some NAS software up and running on a dedicated platter drive for the OS (IDE or whatever - Speed is NOT a consideration for this particular project) running on metal and periodically throw more drives at the system and wrangle/convince/beg/plead the NAS software to put the storage of the new drive into the pool for storage.

The end-game function of this new setup is to backup my backup device. Code wise, I'll write whatever I need to write to get the changed data from the Drobo over to the new NAS. For what its worth, this machine may be scripted to turn on once a week via BIOS, hammer the drobo for changed files and once complete, completely power off. This new machines purpose in life is going to stay as idle as possible, but, when needed, get the job done ASAP, then go back to sleep. (Kinda like how I work in real life. ;))

So my question (As in the TLDR) is what kind of options am I looking for, having not seen a lot of configuration options or much of the UI at all, is FreeNAS going to
- Provide an easy upgrade path to allow as-close-to-seamless addition of drives (Starting at one dedicated drive, slowly going up to 6)
- Provide a way to replace drives (I'll have to setup a monitoring system, which is easy enough)
- Allow access to a drive so I can copy files to it via script/command line/web interface?

My priorities are, in order from highest to lowest:
- The Drobo stays as PRIMARY backup mechanism for the network. It already has been established as such with automated backups, my media center, and the wife getting her music, books, and what not.
- Replace and add drives when needed without massive disruption to the data content. Uptime and availability are NOT critical, important, or even really a consideration.
- Remotely (On my LAN or via VPN) handle the management of the drive pool
- Keep things somewhat redundant on the PC so I don't need to re-transfer terrabytes of data when problems happen on a drive (Looking at about 3 to 4tb worth of data right now). I understand that in a scenario of breaking thresholds for data retention may cause me to do this anyways such as in the case of multiple drive failures at the same time, but, I don't want the Drobo to be constantly beat on.
- When turned on, the PC will scan the Drobo for file changes (Add/Delete/Modified) and obtain the required actions.

Other peoples priorities that are NOT on my list
- "Always On"
- Speed - Be it network or internal processing.
- Accessibility to this new machine from other machines on the network. Network shares can be added later when the Drobo dies.
- Keeping revisions of files. Reason: If the Drobo doesn't have it, I don't need it. If the Drobo changed a file, its changed for a reason.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I had a VIC-20 when I was a kid. Lunar Lander was my favorite game of the ones we had.

As for your actual questions you should take a look at my noobie presentation first. Then you'll have some basic understanding of future expansion and some potential limitations of FreeNAS.

As for not being "always on" you are still going to need to include time for ZFS scrubs, SMART testing, etc. This is just a part of owning a server and if you don't account for those in your "not-always-on" schedule you may find someday that your backups didn't really exist. Had quite a few people lose pools because they did exactly what you want to do... power it on, do the backup, power it off.

FreeNAS isn't for everyone, and you may find it won't really work for your situation. Only you can truly make that decision though.

Pontiac

Cadet
The Vic-20 was short lived in my house hold as the 3K limit nuked my dads Bowling program he started to write. Fortunately the BASIC language and tokens were exactly the same between the Vic-20 and C64. :]

I'll have a read of your post when I can. My internet is off at home at this time due to a cable cut.

As for "always on", the point I was trying to make wasn't the fact that the machine must be available 24/7/367 like some peoples backup systems. If it takes a day to do the scrubs and other internal maintenance, so be it. The critical data that is on the Drobo is stored in different online places, as well as on several machines that I have access to, as well as in a VM who's job is SPECIFICALLY to take care of the critical data. The critical data is small enough to fit on a CD. That data changes, but not often. The point was that this new machines availability wasn't an absolute necessity on the network EXCEPT when I want the backups done on whatever schedule I need. If I lose the Drobo I won't lose the hundreds of hours spent on burning my DVDs and BlueRays, nor spend many more hours attempting to re-find all my CDs that contain applications that just aren't available anymore (Assuming those CDs even work anymore). When the Drobo dies, I'll still have my data kicking around somewhere I can get access to with a flick of the switch. Sure, if the Drobo dies the day before my scheduled backup, I'll lose whatever data was not transferred, but that kind of data typically isn't "mission critical", nor would I be extremely heart broken as I'd probably be able to get that missing information again.

I also appreciate, and agree with your final statement. It is up to me, and how I run my backups, but, in order to make a decision on how things should proceed, I'll need the knowledge of others to better setup my equipment and software to do what I want. I don't want to be the guy who throws together three drives in a RAID-5 config then realize that I can't expand beyond whatever I setup for.

Status
Not open for further replies.