Barts DOS Network Boot disk not authenticating

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontrange

Cadet
Greetings - I have a problem with passing credentials from a DOS PC running Bart's Network Boot disk which I think is basically the WfW stack on DOS.

A little history on the problem as follows. I have a large CNC milling machine that runs a proprietary machine control software under barebones DOS. In order to be able to pass files that I create on a modern PC running CAD/CAM software to the old DOS based machine I have been running the Bart's network software for years on the milling machine, connecting to a Windows XP fileserver.

With the support for XP going away, I tried doing the share off of a Vista machine, but couldn't get it to connect (authenticate) and after researching all of the possible registry settings I might need to change, I decided to try a NAS server instead thinking control of what protocol levels would be supported would be easier than fiddling with inscrutable windows registry entries.

I have installed FreeNAS, created a share, created an account with password, and checked protocol support to include everything on the CIFS menu going back to LANMAN1 and still no joy.

Every time I try to log in from the Bart's DOS system I get a message that the password is wrong. I use the exact same username and password from a modern PC and all is good. I have set logging to debug, but I see no tab under the GUI for debug events and I see nothing getting posted to the freenas server syslog when I try to authenticate from the DOS machine.

Any advice on next step to isolate where the problem may be?? TIA

frontrange

Cadet
No, I had to stand up another server on XP just to provide this network share. I tried every possible option on FreeNES without any progress and never found out where debug logs are written.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The log you are looking for is probably /var/log/samba4/log.smbd
If you set it to debug then be prepared to wade through lots of info.

You can perform a packet capture when it's trying to authenticate. By running the following command from terminal.

tcpdump -w /mnt/Tank/foo.pcap

Replacing 'tank' with the name of your zvol. Then run the pcap through wireshark on a separate machine.

You can compare that with a pcap from the windows machine when it successfully authenticates.

Additionally, you can try a vanilla install of FreeBSD using samba 3.6 and see if it works there.

frontrange

Cadet
Lost interest at this point. Eventually I need to migrate the CNC hardware from the current proprietary system to LinuxCNC. At that point I won't need to support the old WFW protocol stack. In the mean time, I'll live with the old XP server doing nothing but serving this network share.

Status
Not open for further replies.