Backup to esata disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman Eggink

Explorer
Having mirrored my disks, I had not implemented a backup scheme just yet. Since I don't want to run the risk of losing all my personal videos and photos, I decided to:
  1. install the crashplan plugin (works really well once you tell it to listen on all interfaces rather than just localhost)
  2. use crashplan to back up my data to an external esata 3TB disk
Took a while to complete the 1.2TB backup but it's done now yay!

I need a little help with the following: I want to store the disk off-site and do a monthly copy. I can shut crashplan down so it won't make a backup until I start it up again but what is the best way to detach the disk? I configured the esata disk as a separate volume (/mnt/Backup) and is mounted in the crashplan jail. Do I need to detach the volume before I switch off the disk (suspect so)? If so, does detaching the disk also delete the mount in the jail? Is so, I would have to recreate it every time I want to do a backup again...

Thanks for anyone's help!

Herman

Herman Eggink

Explorer
Decided to just give it a try myself: the volume cannot be detached as long as crashplan and the jail are running (kind of obvious but hey...). So the format is: 1) stop crashplan, 2) stop the jail and 3) detach the volume. vv, auto import the volume, start the jail and start crashplan and I am back where I was. Pretty neat!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I actually back up on to an esata disk myself, *BUT*, I have that disk on a windows box.

I use "syncbackfree" from 2brightsparks software to perform the backup nightly. So that's another option that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.