Backup FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi Guys, I know that I might get some strange answers but I have to ask as I don't have a complete overview what the best would be.
I do have a FreeNas running and that works fine for me so far, but I also learned a RAID1 isn't a backup system. I have to secure my data on a backup drive. I have an external HDD with 2 TB which I like to use as Backup solution. Well my problem is that I will install the backup drive on my brothers house. That secures me for risks in case of fire.

It sounds bit strange, but I havent an idea how I can fix that between 2 different network. Is that possible by rsync? I use 2 router where I do have an VPN connection. Do I have a chance to get that fixed by RSYNC?

regards
freenassnofla

Freesnofla

Patron
Isn't there anybody who can help me in that special case, I only like to know how I can prepare a backup solution from my FreeNas.

Yatti420

Wizard
Just backup the drive locally and move it manually to your Brother's house.. Maybe get 2 so you just keep swapping etc..

Freesnofla

Patron
When I should move it manually that makes no sense for me, I thought I could use rsync for that purpose. But when I understand you right there isn't any possibility using rsync via the network or what does it make so complicated? I wrote yesterday evening the manual from FreeNas and found the chapter rsync, so far it's clear how I have to do the configuration. But where I do have my doubts how do I get the data backup to my brothers network.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
When I should move it manually that makes no sense for me, I thought I could use rsync for that purpose. But when I understand you right there isn't any possibility using rsync via the network or what does it make so complicated? I wrote yesterday evening the manual from FreeNas and found the chapter rsync, so far it's clear how I have to do the configuration. But where I do have my doubts how do I get the data backup to my brothers network.
You need something that can also run rsync at your brothers house. Preferably a server that is always on.

Yes rsync can go over the network. If you don't need encryption have an rsync damon running either at your or your brothers house. Then you need to schedule a job to push data to the daemon periodically.

Freesnofla

Patron
Ok, that said then I should build a second FreeNas Box which I place on my brothers side. That means I can't use an external HDD.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok, that said then I should build a second FreeNas Box which I place on my brothers side. That means I can't use an external HDD.
You could use the external HDD and have it plugged in over USB/esata, but .. what I recommend, is to crack the external drive open to take the 3.5" HDD out so you can put the drive directly in the FreeNAS machine at your brother's house. Sata is much better then USB2/3 for storage protocol, you wouldn't have an additional powercable for the HDD, and the drive would have less chance of being kicked/unplugged.

What type of external drive is it? If it's a wester digital it likely has a WD Green inside (the 'low power' & 'lower performance' ones). You want to plug these in to a computer with a FreeDOS live USB and run wdidle3 to disable 8-second spindown.
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/

Freesnofla

Patron
Right now I'm confused so far. I do have a Samsung 2 TB external drive and I thought to use that one. Could I use that Media when running Crashplan?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
like concurrently do multiple tasks? Yes.
Ok, forget the WDidle stuff then, I still suggest you crack the external drive open to access the internal 3.5 drive directly but it's up to you how you want to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.