Backing up USB Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike83

Dabbler
Hi

Is there some way to back up the usb drive that FreeNAS runs off? I see under Settings and General there is a Save Config button, it makes a 200kb db file. I'm just curious as if the USB drive it runs off ever goes kaput, then I would lose all my ZFS information? Do other people bother backing up the usb drive? Do I just need to use some drive clone tool with the usb drive so I can back up the contents? Or is there some way I can do it in the FreeNAS interface?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
save the db file to your computer, and make sure that you save the config db to your computer any time you make a major change. if the usb key dies, build another usb key, boot it up, and restore the config. you wont lose anything

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, keep a copy of the FreeNAS image you're running. FreeNAS is supposed to be fine upgrading configurations between releases, but not from nightlies or stuff like that, and I've seen a case where a config running fine on one RELEASE wouldn't import into a newer RELEASE. It looks likely that the config was imported into the earlier RELEASE from a nightly or something like that, which then caused issues later.

Status
Not open for further replies.