Autotune on Scale

tobo

Dabbler
Hi,

I have updated my TrueNas Scale Server with new hardware, runing the most recent Bluefin Release (as of now 22.12.3.3).

Xeon E3-1220LV2 -> AMD Ryzen 5 4650G Pro
Intel Onboard NIC -> Realtek RTL8111H (going to replace that with a proper NIC once I get a 19" case that has space for it)
16 GB ECC -> 64 GB ECC
6x 3TB WD Red RaidZ2 -> 4x 12TB Toshiba MG07ACA12TE RaidZ1

I did reimport the config from the old server, and find that there are (still?) a lot of autotune generated values.

I am wondering if I should kepp all of the settings, or adapt them, or how else to proceed?

1695377959162.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @tobo

Those tunables are formatted as FreeBSD/CORE types - but you've mentioned that you're now running SCALE. Did you at some point run CORE and do the migration/sidegrade to SCALE?

It's likely that they aren't actually taking effect - you can validate this by checking your dashboard to see if you've gone above 13G of "ZFS Cache" on the Memory widget. In this case, you can pretty safely just delete all of the autotune-generated tunables.

tobo

Dabbler
Hi @HoneyBadger
you are right, this system has been upgraded all the way from FreeNAS 8 or so. And the ZFS Cache is currently way above 13GB. I am going to remove the tunables.

Are tunables still relevant nowadays, especially for SCALE? If so, does it make sense to look into this and where would I start?

Thank you very much!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for sticking with Free/TrueNAS for this long! :smile:

Tunables are still relevant, but only for specific situations - optimizing for certain transfer types over 10GbE or greater interfaces, forcing a particular type of behavior from ZFS, things like that. The defaults for TrueNAS (both CORE and SCALE) have been tweaked and modified on their own over time to fit most use cases relatively well.

tobo

Dabbler
Thanks for sticking with Free/TrueNAS for this long! :smile:

Easy. The last server ran with the same hardware for ten years and probably would have done 20 more. No hickups. The only downside was to justify the budget for new hardware...

Enough praise for now, got to open a thread to ask my next question! ;)