Autoboot, not sure how to solve that....

fabien

Cadet
Hi guys,
so i've installed freenas, used for few days, everything smooth, but everytime i boot it, the "welcome to freenas" screen stays on until i press enter, since my goal would be to have an autonomous system, i would like to automate the start of the machine : it powers on and freenas boot without waiting me to press enter.

there is no time value, and all information i can find is how to autoboot programs from jails.

any advise where to look ?

i don't think this would relate, but here my config
Asrock j3455 with 2x4 Go DDR3
embedded Intel Quad core j3455
3x8TB WD red Hard drives

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably going to be some weird interaction with your J3000 SoC, which means you're out of luck until it gets fixed upstream and brought into FreeNAS. You might want to have a look around the FreeBSD forums to see if the matter has been investigated there.

fabien

Cadet
hmmm, interesting, are you saying that J3000 sockets only can't boot, or all sockets ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Of course it's not a problem with every processor. The Jxxxx Atoms have always been a poor choice for FreeNAS because they're underpowered and their motherboards are seemingly all crap-grade products.

jlpellet

Patron
Following up on the FreeBSD idea, see https://www.xigmanas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12587, which states, in part:
Re: ASrock J3455-ITX won't boot NAS4Free

Post by tron44 » 22 Jun 2017 08:04
Hi,
I had a 3455B a while ago.
To make it work, you need to change the following in the bios:
- turn on the CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
- set the C-States to off or 0 (I don't remember)

You can also look at https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/system-does-not-boot-any-more-after-update.59829/

Good luck

fabien

Cadet
Ok thanks @jlpellet, i'll follow up on these.
for the C states point thought, that seems quit strange to me because from what i read it wouldn't let the CPU rest, so that would die prematurely,(well ASrock MB you might say, no biggies :D) , i will definitely investigate on that matter.

fabien

Cadet
well, i tried edit the loader, tried adding tunable, i did
- turn on the CSM
- disable the c states,

nothing.... still need press enter when it starts to load freenas