Archetecture does not match error when attempting to upgrade form x86 to x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharvey

Cadet
I have been using Freenas for a month or so and loving it. Using a Dell Optiplex with 2GB memory. I installed new memory to bring this to 8GB. Machine boots, memtested ok, BIOS sees all 8 GIG. obviously the x86 load does not. I have attempted the GUI upgrade to FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz. SHA seems to take ok, but I get a green errror box at the top of my page saying that there is an error, Architecture x86 =! x64.

Any ideas?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
save config to your computer
build new USB thumbdrive from x64 version
boot new USB thumbdrive
restore config
DONE

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi dharvey,

What model Optiplex?

There might actually be a check in FreeNAS now that checks the "bitness" of the upgrades.....used to be we would see somebody posting with weird problems or new (post-install) instability and we would track it down to an x64 -> x86 "upgrade". It's been a while since I've seen one of those and if there is now an architecture check in the update process that would explain why.

Easiest solution for you might be to just save your config, burn a x64 install CD, do a fresh install to your key and upload your config. There might be a way to force the "bitness" change if you manually do an upgrade via the CLI, but I don't know of any way to do so....

-Will

dharvey

Cadet
Optiplex 755.

Thanks to both of you for your posts, I will follow this path.

Just to confirm as long as I save my config and restore it to the new install, I dont lose files on my harddrives (Storage volumes), correct? I have one internal drive, one external USB RAID0 and 2 external usb drives that are mirrored, all zfs.

gpsguy

@dharvey, my answer is not in response to your current issue.

Do you have backups for your system? Your 3 USB connected drives are a recipe for disaster. Search for USB on the forum to find messages where folks ran into problems and lost their data (with no backups) and the source was on USB connected drives.

If your Optiplex 755 is a mini-tower, you should be able to put 4 drives in it (remove the DVD-Rom). If you need a drive caddy - you can find them cheaply on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.