Anyone using ASRock D1541D4U-2O8R or other similar boards with SPF+ from CS4227 PHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journer

Dabbler
I'm planning out my new build and trying to decide on a motherboard. It looks like a Xeon-D SOC solution will give me what I want with added benefits of the SOC itself, such as lower power consumption and built in 10G.

I'm curious if anyone is using this specific board from ASRock: D1541D4U-2O8R
My main question is about the 10G SPF+ option which uses a CS4227 PHY. There are some other boards from Gigabyte that offer basically the same setup. Does anyone know if this is supported by FreeNAS? I'm trying to determine if the PHY itself needs drivers or if the MAC is provided by SOC so FreeNAS would just pick it up as Intel X522.

It seems like the perfect FreeNAS or ZFS board though:
  • Plenty of cores and decent base/turbo frequency
  • LSI3008 SAS 12g + 6 SATA 6g
  • Up to 128gb ECC
  • 10G RJ45 or 10G SPF+ offerings
  • IPMI and other bells and whisles
Seems a lot of folks are going with Supermicro boards? They seem more expensive, some weirdness from the vendor (extra $$ for unlocking IPMI) and less features... I suppose they may be higher quality boards though.

The only post I could find for the ASRock board was this, but seems its from a spambot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, Xeon-D is reasonably popular, but there are so many different boards that it's hard to find people using one specific model.

Status
Not open for further replies.