Anybody use SATA enterprise drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard

gpsguy

Although most surveillance drives are rated for 24x7 usage and are very quiet, I wouldn't use them for general storage. They are optimized for video; ie. surveillance, pvr, etc.

WD Red's show up on your link - a number of forum user's, use them. In the past, I've used the Seagate Constellation (for other applications) and been quite happy with them. Generally, the enterprise class drives come with a 5-year warranty, versus a year or two, on a consumer drive.

I know there are AV drives for cam

Yatti420

Wizard
Im not talking the consumer grade reds or seagate consumer NAS drives.. Unfortunately those reds/greens and seagate "NAS" are all low RPM drives now.. I mean the actual enterprise SATA ones.. WD RE or SE looks promising.. Haven't checked out Seagate's drives yet.. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=580 - Wouldn't want the AV drives either they are probably write optimized..

Yatti420

Wizard
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6986/...s-wd-se-for-datacenters-and-highend-nas-units good review here.. You would buy these for reliability or a big massive fast raid and hope to not have to replace any in 5+ years.. My 80GB blacks could last 5-6 years.. These should easily.. I already max out pretty much performance wise on the hardware I have so.. Not quite sure how to push performance any further without substantial investments in 10 gig gear..

Edit: Spelling

gpsguy

my bad ... i had Red's on the brain, when I read RE.

Yes, I know what your talking about and would recommend them in a heartbeat. Most of the enterprise class disks I've used have been Seagates - either the Constellation series or the 15k Cheetah's. The WD's are fine too.

Im not talking the consumer grade reds or seagate consumer NAS drives.. .

Yatti420

Wizard
No worries.. I started with WD because they are usually easier to identify etc.. 170MB/s I can live with that.. If only gigabit could serve it.. I'd probably choose SE series should be cheaper then RE.. Same throughput less power.. As for Seagate I haven't looked yet.. I want SATA though.. Wouldn't know where to start with SAS gear..

maiitax

Cadet
What case are you planning on using and or cooling. Those are all 7200 rpm they are going to run hot. I was looking at the SE drives as well. I was going to pick some up soon for my rebuild.

Yatti420

Wizard
I have a mid-tower case at the moment with server grade fans.. I haven't committed to buying anything yet.. Just trying to get an idea of what next steps will be..

Status
Not open for further replies.