Another old Rig for FreeNAS tryout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Have a couple old Abit KV8 mb's laying around and thought I'd try my hand at this. 1 Gb of mem, AGP video card, 2 120gb and 2 60gb's and the install went pretty smoothly on a 4gb USB stick. Tho when I tried to install Jail, it seemed to start to get a mind of its own and having 2 IP's associated with the server. But anyhow, when I rebooted, I noticed the HD's were not allowing the motherboard to boot. I removed the IDE cables or power to the HD's and the KV8 would continue to boot. But anytime I put even one of the IDE HD's on the board, it would hang after HD initialization during POST. Anyone else run into anything like this on any other MB?

Thanks
Jason

Hello All,

Thought I'd answer my question in case someone else had the same issue. Found 2 things stopping the POST, 1 was IDE Prefetch setting needs to be Disabled, and the HD's needed to be CHS and not auto in BIOS was stopping the boot cycle, even tho I've always had it turned on prior on all my systems. But seems after the format to raid ZFS, the motherboard didn't seem to understand the sectors. So theres one thing you can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.