AFP and NFS permissions on one shared volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

pillowplane

Dabbler
Hey there

I'm trying to get into this permissions stuff with AFP and NFS at one shared volume.

My system is FreeNAS-8.3.1 and I want to get access to freenas-shares with my Mac (OSX 10.7.2).
Don't ask why, but I used NFS to put terrabytes of data on my freeNAS. It spent days with a slow connection over an old ethernet switch. Now, all my hardware is up to date (cat6 cable and gigabit switch and NIC). It's more easy to operate with AFP when you use MacOSX, so in future I want to use AFP. It works fine, when I copy, paste, delete new data on my shared volume. But some of the NFS-copied files and folders have not the right permissions. I can't read or write it via AFP.

How can I change the permissions to get full rw-access via AFP?

I tried to set all permissions recursively with the webGUI in the »Storage« tab with these settings:

----------------------------------------------------
User xanu
Group xanu

Read x x x (all checked)
Write x x x (all checked)
Execute x x x (all checked)

Type of ACL Unix

Set permission recursively checked
----------------------------------------------------

--> reboot and remount the freeNAS.
--> no change. the NFS-copied files and folders are not accessible via AFP

My AFP sharing Settings are:

Name HALTWO
Share Comment ---
Path /mnt/haltwo
Share password ---
Confirm Share Password ---
Allow List xanu
Deny List ---
Read-only Access ---
Read-write Access xanu
Disk Discovery no
Disk discovery mode default
Database Path ---
Translate CR/LF no
Windows File Names no
Enable .AppleDouble no
AFP3 Unix Privs checked

Default file permission
Read X X X (all checked)
Write X X X (all checked)
Execute X X X (all checked)

Default directory permission
Read X X X (all checked)
Write X X X (all checked)
Execute X X X (all checked)

My NFS sharing Settings are:

Comment ---
Authorized networks ---
Authorized IP addresses or hosts 192.168.100.139
All Directories no
Read Only no
Quiet no
Maproot User N/A
Maproot Group N/A
Mapall User xanu
Mapall Group xanu
Path /mnt/haltwo

Thanks a lot for help.

paleoN

Wizard
It works fine, when I copy, paste, delete new data on my shared volume. But some of the NFS-copied files and folders have not the right permissions. I can't read or write it via AFP.
From the CLI, ls -l is your friend. Fix the permissions with chown.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And sharing the same files with more than 1protocol is asking for corruption. Each protocol handles it's own file handling. So one won't know what the other is doing. The only safe solution is to use only 1 protocol or make one protocol read only.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think that NFS and AFP/Netatalk are using the exact same UNIX filesystem permissions, that they are compatible among themselves. Or am I wrong?

They are. But you are missing the most important sentence in my last post.

Each protocol handles it's own file handling./quote]

That means file locks, file permissions, etc. They don't talk to each other except via the file system. And file locks are NOT available on a file system basis.

That's why I said to either make one read-only(so you can't ever have 2 versions of a file floating around resulting in that file being a mish-mash of both versions together or use one protocol(CIFS is my recommendation.. read below).

My post was not to help with your permissions issue, I'm trying to save you from extensive file corruption in the future. Frankly, the fact that one hasn't worked for you has probably saved you some headaches.

Also, from other Mac users, AFP is going away next MacOS update. So you might not want to spend excessive time trying to get AFP to work when its going away. AFP has always been a PITA for FreeNAS users because so few Mac users exist in the forum to provide support. I can't help you with AFP since I don't buy Apple products, and I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to PM me to send me some inexpensive small system so I can at least try to help with AFP use when a user asks for help.

Now, if you choose to ignore my advice and still use AFP and NFS you should check out the file permissions from the CLI. You'll probably find your problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.