Advise needed: TrueNAS SCALE equivalent for Macvlan

kurisutian

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm currently about to switch to TrueNAS SCALE coming from a QNAP and OMV system. One thing I need to migrate is a TV Headend container I did run with macvlan enabled. This was neccesary since I am using TV Headend as a SatIP receiver to distribute the TV signal from the SatIP server to all devices in the network. Without macvlan this did not work. Now given the somewhat higher complexity of kubernetes I was wondering which would be a feasable alternative setting on the TrueNAS end. Would it be a VLAN network adapter (which I do not know if it runs with the link aggregation I would have running as well) or would it actually need to be something more like MetalLB to expose the TVH app to my network appearing as a individual device similar to the docker macvlan network.

Unfortunately I was not able to find anything online or in the forum. Just somebody who had a similar problem, but no solution. So maybe somebody who is more experienced and has more knowledge could point me into the right direction so I can make the switch and start learning more about TrueNAS and the overall environment.

Thank you very much!

tprelog

Patron
I don't know much about kubernetes or how the underlying systems work, but I was successful using macvlan with the TrueCharts docker compose app.

kurisutian

Cadet
I don't know much about kubernetes or how the underlying systems work, but I was successful using macvlan with the TrueCharts docker compose app.
Was this straight forward? Or did you have to manually do some things other than applying the compose file? Haven't looked at this at all yet as I wasn't aware of this possibility. Thanks for pointing me there, this would indeed be sufficient for my use-case.

tprelog

Patron
Was this straight forward?
It was - the only issue for me was trying to mount - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro did not work. I had to use the TZ environment var instead. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Also I did not apply my compose file in the app configuration. Instead I entered the app shell and started my containers using the traditional docker-compose up -d - Not that this was required, it's just how I did it.

kurisutian

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking into it and also did mess around with the advanced settings of the network section in the TrueCharts catalog. Actually I found an option in there to bind the app to the network adapter and define a static IP address which pretty much did exactly what I needed similar to the macvlan option in plain docker.