Advice to build a FreeNAS file/webserver out of a WD mybook live

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmany

Cadet
Hi guys:

I've seen a lot of posts asking for help/advice about this before but as each case is unique I want to take the risc to ask some questions that may has been already answered. I've been searching about this and I have a blury to clear idea of what needs to be done an so I'm here asking for advice with all the respect.

Here is the original situation:
My lovely wife game me as a gift a 2Tb WD my book live NAS drive. -The intention is what matter-
Now I'm a new user of Linux and the thing that I don't like about that drive is that even though is a Debian box running on a PPC, it has absolutely not support for Linux system.
I want to buil a FreeNAS file/webserver taking the 2Tb drive out of the WD box and 2x2Gb DDR3/1333MHz RAM that I already have.
The hard drive inside the WD mybook live is a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green.
So this is what I already have:
1 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green hard drive
2 2GB DDR3/1333MHz RAM

I wish to build a system:
1- That could be expandable to 8 TB in the future
2. Energy efficient as I want it to be running 24/365xN
3- Quiet
4- That can host a personal webpage powered by clojure
5- As cheap as possible
6- Not too slow
7- Small

I will appreciate any help/advice to select the rest of the components (case, motherboard, etc.,) and the possible set up for it.
Thanks in advace to everybody in the comunity.

Regards

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Rule #1. Don't build a system that is "expandable" later. You are MUCH better off building it all at once exactly how you want/need it. Trying to expand an already built FreeNAS system can get time consuming and unnecessarily expensive. Read my guide to understand the limitations of expanding a zpool after it is built.

As for hosting a personal webpage, FreeNAS is customized to work great for a file server, and not much else except in a jail with plugins.

You'll get a better response as to recommended hardware by posting what you want to buy and see if anyone sees anything wrong with it. Too many people want someone else to build them a system, and I can't build a system that will work well for YOU and your budget. There's far too much involved. There's been a few situations where builds were recommended, then later the person bought the hardware and was unhappy and angry. Please provide your recommended hardware after doing your own research that way someone in the forum doesn't feel bad if they overlook something and you end up spending money on stuff that won't do what you want.

usmany

Cadet
Hi noobsauce80,

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I think you are totally right about everything. I am in resarch mode now.
Also your advice put my feet on the ground. I just want to build one small thing with what I already have, in other words, make my own "2TB my book live" better.
With just 2TB because I don't have the money to buy more AND I can live with only 2TB at home.

I read your guide and I want to thank you for the time you have put into it.
If you want I can make some charts for your consideration and if you like them you can use them in your presentation.

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.