Advice Request: Is FreeNAS Suitable For My Purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
ou have missed my point: either the software provides data integrity or it doesn't.

Yes, it provides data integrity if you have at least 8 GB of RAM, it doesn't if you have less RAM.

Data integrity doesn't depend on the hardware set-up

Yes it does (think about ECC to begin with). Here the problem is that if you have less than 8 GB of RAM the system can run out of free RAM and when it happens it can crash in unexpected ways and corrupt some data doing so.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So how exactly is 8GB RAM going to fix the catastrophic failure of two mirrored disks at the same time? You have missed my point: either the software provides data integrity or it doesn't. Data integrity doesn't depend on the hardware set-up: what you are referring to is resilience. I don't need mission-critical levels of resilience, but I do require data integrity (ie data not being corrupted).
You are placing blame on the operating system when you are actually to blame for not following the instructions. If you can't be bothered to follow directions, why would anyone care what you think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

m0nkey_

MVP
So how exactly is 8GB RAM going to fix the catastrophic failure of two mirrored disks at the same time? You have missed my point: either the software provides data integrity or it doesn't. Data integrity doesn't depend on the hardware set-up: what you are referring to is resilience. I don't need mission-critical levels of resilience, but I do require data integrity (ie data not being corrupted).
I believe I advised against using a laptop.

Oh yes, here we go..
Sir, you're welcome to try. However we've seen on numerous occasions people with the same set-up, only to return a couple months later saying their pool is no longer available with all data lost. I just don't want you to be another casualty.

I wish you well on your endeavor.
Please do the right thing, take a look at the hardware recommendations guide to build your server. We're not lying when we say "don't do it" with your current hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.