BUILD Advice on selected components

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumitB

Dabbler
Long back in 2006-2009 I had a WHS setup put together by assembling consumer desktop parts I had collected over the years. I don't quite recall what was its capacity then but it had 4-6 hard drives and it served me well while it existed. However, my financial condition deteriorated and when things started getting bad with the hardware, I had to take it all apart and sell whatever I could. In the process, I lost a lot of data which i could never replace.

I am moving to a new place and with the future looking promising, I am planning to put together an over the top FreeNAS server with server grade components.

In the new place, I may have 3-4 bedrooms and each will have its own 4K television. There will be a 4K television in the living room and a dedicated home theatre room. Each of these televisions will get their own media streamer and I am looking at the Nvidia Android Shield for this purpose. I plan to use the FreeNAS server to stream bluray images to these televisions and also run plex for the mobile devices. Currently I have about 7TB of data on many drives and computers and I want to consolidate all these into this FreeNAS server. I am planning to initially start off with 10x4TB WD Reds in a RAIDZ2 array. I will add drives (in lots of 10) as and when I feel the need.

In my country, server grade components are not easily available and we have to rely on authorised distributors and resellers for our parts. I managed to get hold of one such distributor dealing in Supermicro and came up with the following configuration.

Supermicro Server Motherboard X10SRI-F
Intel Xeon E5-1620V3 with Supermicro Heat Sink (I may get the E5-1650 V3 instead)
4 x 16 GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM 2133 MHz (Samsung)
10 x 4 TB WD RED
LSI 9211-8i HBA
4U Supermicro Chassis CSE847E16-R1400LPB with Slide Rails

I already have the necessary power backup equipment and this is not of concern.

My questions are:
1. Are the redundant 1400W power supplies enough for this build considering the fact that I am starting with 10 4TB drives but may end up with 30-36 drives in the future?
2. Should I opt for a SSD boot drive or should I get a USB pendrive for the purpose? If a USB drive is recommended, should I get a USB 2 or USB 3 drive? Are redundant boot drives recommended and can we do redundancy with USB pendrives?
3. Is the E5 1620 v3 CPU capable of encoding 3-4 1080p or 4K streams simultaneously or should I get the 1650 instead?
4. Should I really get the 64GB RAM or will 32GB be suffice?

I have been spending time on the forums and trying to read as much as I could at this stage of planning. I will test out the features of FreeNAS once I am able to build this server before I put it into production.

You advice will be highly appreciated.

Fuganater

Patron
Build looks good.

My questions are:
1. Are the redundant 1400W power supplies enough for this build considering the fact that I am starting with 10 4TB drives but may end up with 30-36 drives in the future?
2. Should I opt for a SSD boot drive or should I get a USB pendrive for the purpose? If a USB drive is recommended, should I get a USB 2 or USB 3 drive? Are redundant boot drives recommended and can we do redundancy with USB pendrives?
3. Is the E5 1620 v3 CPU capable of encoding 3-4 1080p or 4K streams simultaneously or should I get the 1650 instead?
4. Should I really get the 64GB RAM or will 32GB be suffice?

I have been spending time on the forums and trying to read as much as I could at this stage of planning. I will test out the features of FreeNAS once I am able to build this server before I put it into production.

You advice will be highly appreciated.

1. Way more than enough IMO.
2. Get 2x Sandisk Cruizer Fit 2.0. FreeNAS does not play nice with USB3.0 ports so have a 3.0 drive does nothing for you.
3. 1650 is the best 'bang for your buck'. If you have the money, buy it and you will never have to look back.
4. You probably won't need any more as I have seen some of the Pro's on here have 40TB+ on just 32GB RAM with multiple Jails running and they have no issues. Personally I stick with the 1GB RAM per 1TB rule as a minimum.

SumitB

Dabbler
Build looks good.

1. Way more than enough IMO.
2. Get 2x Sandisk Cruizer Fit 2.0. FreeNAS does not play nice with USB3.0 ports so have a 3.0 drive does nothing for you.
3. 1650 is the best 'bang for your buck'. If you have the money, buy it and you will never have to look back.
4. You probably won't need any more as I have seen some of the Pro's on here have 40TB+ on just 32GB RAM with multiple Jails running and they have no issues. Personally I stick with the 1GB RAM per 1TB rule as a minimum.

Thank you! Now the other part of the question related to the USB pendrives. Can we do a redundant boot drives with 2 USB pendrives?

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
Yes. You mirror your installation on them. Some work is required if 1 dies but it is all covered in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.