Advice on Disk Layout - Virtualisation

Evening all

I am in the process of building out a new homelab and to get myself out of my comfort zone I've decided it's going to be all Opensource. I've plunged with TrueNas 12 Beta, happy to play about rather than this being a system critical build. I'll have four hypervisors connecting in, I'm thinking KVM at the moment (comfort zone again). My hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SCL-IF CPU: Intel Core i3 9100 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) RAM: Kingston Server Premier (KSM24ED8/16ME) 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 ECC CL17 DIMM 2Rx8 Micron E ([B]x2 32GB in total[/B]) M.2 nvme: Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242 ([B]for boot[/B]) LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i 8-port SAS SATA LSI00200 [B](I've flashed to LSI9211 IT mode, using firmware: 20.00.07.00[/B])

Question 1, my TrueNas reports Firmware: 20.00.07.00, Driver: 21.02.00.00-fbsd. Does TrueNas 12 use a new driver and am I still okay running 20.00.07.00 on the HBA?

I have the following disks available
6 x Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GB's 7200RPM 256MB Cache ([B]attached to the HBA[/B]) 2 x Integral 240GB P Series 5 SATA III SSD Drive ([B]they were cheap :)[/B])

Now I've been doing a bit of reading on vdev setup, I understand the arguments between mirroring and raidz. I have found this article and if that is the current thinking then my best option would be to set up the 6 drives as a pool of three mirrored vdevs? I'm not bothered so much about maximizing storage, I'm concerned about VM IOPS. I'm not going to lose sleep if I lose data (this is a home lab) so mirrored gives me enough resilience. I am thinking of presenting the storage to the KVM hosts as either NFS or iSCSI (My NICS are lagged using LACP, both GbE, a Cisco 3750 in between them and the hosts)

Question 2, is the article I linked to considered sound advice and is my reasoning sufficient for a Virtualised environment

Now the question that I'm sure has been done to death a thousand and one times. L2ARC and SLOG. I understand the concept, I have read the article, I have two cheap SSDs (new) that I'm happy to use for this purpose if it truly will give me any benefit. I've read posts from people who say L2ARC misused can affect your ARC, I've read articles that say you only need a GB of SLOG, I've read articles that espouse using it and other articles saying it's of no benefit (seems to be talking about plex type setups though). I've seen articles that say mirror the ZIL, but not the L2ARC. There's a lot of detail out there and I'm wondering what is the best set up for me.

Question 2, my environment will be virtualised, with quite a lot of serverless functions, some Db activity as well. Should I use the two SSDs and if so how should I deploy them (mirrored, not) should I use L2ARC and SLOG and if so how much space shall I allocate to each?

Anyway, hello all and here's hoping to a happy TrueNas experience.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Not for SLOG

You're also light on RAM to be doing L2ARC... what's your hit ratio like for ARC?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, with regards the SLOG, do you mind explaining why? I've had a read of this article and I completely get in a scenario where I am concerned about my data that I would want something battery backed to ensure data consistency in event of an error. But I don't understand why it wouldn't give me any benefit having dedicated faster disk for heavy sync writes. In my head I see my pool being contested for read and write if I begin to over commit. I appreciate these are crappy consumer disks, but from what I've read you would only partition up a fraction of the drive anyway to allow for the natural wear leveling.

The numbers I get back for the disk latency are superior to the Intel S3700 which seems to be recommended. Am I missing something? I forgot to mention, the NAS and KVM hosts will be sat on a UPS and I have it scripted to shut these devices down in event of power failure. I was assuming this would flush out the SLOG?

Synchronous random writes: 0.5 kbytes: 111.2 usec/IO = 4.4 Mbytes/s 1 kbytes: 114.4 usec/IO = 8.5 Mbytes/s 2 kbytes: 114.5 usec/IO = 17.1 Mbytes/s 4 kbytes: 119.4 usec/IO = 32.7 Mbytes/s 8 kbytes: 126.0 usec/IO = 62.0 Mbytes/s 16 kbytes: 144.8 usec/IO = 107.9 Mbytes/s 32 kbytes: 148.1 usec/IO = 211.0 Mbytes/s 64 kbytes: 173.6 usec/IO = 360.0 Mbytes/s 128 kbytes: 298.1 usec/IO = 419.4 Mbytes/s

With regards the L2ARC I haven't set up the pool yet or loaded the NAS, I thought I'd ask for advice first :smile:.

sretalla