adjusting rx/tx ring buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vshaulsk

Cadet
General Question as I try to tune my 10 gig network:

I have looked over the forums and general google search, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for adjusting the rx/tx ring buffers on my Chelsio dual 10GB sfp+ NIC

From what I found it looks like in the tunables section I would add hw.cxgbe.rxd = 4096 and hw.cxgbe.txd = 4096

However before I try this, I would like to get confirmation that this is correct.

On linux I would use ethtool "ethtool -G cxgb0 rx 4096 tx 4096", but not sure how to do this in Freenas/freebsd

Also in Freenas am I able to change the ring buffer for a specific interface (cxbg0 or cxgb1) or do I have to implement the change for both interfaces at the same time

Thank you for the help

vshaulsk

Cadet
With no feedback to this query it makes me think that this is not a common practice in freenas.....

Is this a common practice in freebsd ?

kdragon75

Wizard

kdragon75

Wizard
hw.cxgbe.qsize_txq
Number of entries in a transmit queue's descriptor ring. A
buf_ring of the same size is also allocated for additional soft-
ware queuing. See ifnet(9). The default value is 1024. Differ-
ent interfaces can be assigned different values via the
dev.<port>.X.qsize_txq sysctl. This sysctl works only when the
interface has never been marked up (as done by ifconfig up).

hw.cxgbe.qsize_rxq
Number of entries in a receive queue's descriptor ring. The
default value is 1024. Different interfaces can be assigned dif-
ferent values via the dev.<port>.X.qsize_rxq sysctl. This sysctl
works only when the interface has never been marked up (as done
by ifconfig up).
So you should be able to test it live with
Code:
sysctl dev.cxgbe.0.qsize_rxq = 4096
and
Code:
sysctl dev.cxgbe.1.qsize_rxq = 4096
for cxgbe0 and cxgbe1 respectively.

kdragon75

Wizard
Anytime you have a FreeBSD related question, just google FreeBSD xyz. FreeBSD has great documentation. Not to be rude but I don't like spoon feeding engineers.

vshaulsk

Cadet
Thank you for the help.... I also found the manual page, but was not entirely sure I was in the right place...... hence why I asked the help of IT professionals vs a fellow vehicle suspension engineer.

kdragon75

Wizard
Thank you for the help.... I also found the manual page, but was not entirely sure I was in the right place...... hence why I asked the help of IT professionals vs a fellow vehicle suspension engineer.
:p I see you updated that ;)

vshaulsk

Cadet
Yes I figured I should clarify........ Mechanical automotive engineer professionally..... family business IT administrator by night :)

My other question:
- Is adjusting ring buffers common on Freenas? From my searching, I have only seen a few threads talking about it and in the 10-gig primer, I do not think I have seen it mentioned at all.

I also run proxmox hosts and on the linux side when I look at 10gig tuning adjusting ring buffers come often.
- Overall getting 10 gig networking to run at 10 gig has not gone as well as I was hoping, but I have learned a lot and it is a fun/frustrating project.

kdragon75

Wizard
Yes I figured I should clarify........ Mechanical automotive engineer professionally..... family business IT administrator by night :)

My other question:
- Is adjusting ring buffers common on Freenas? From my searching, I have only seen a few threads talking about it and in the 10-gig primer, I do not think I have seen it mentioned at all.

I also run proxmox hosts and on the linux side when I look at 10gig tuning adjusting ring buffers come often.
- Overall getting 10 gig networking to run at 10 gig has not gone as well as I was hoping, but I have learned a lot and it is a fun/frustrating project.
I think the number of 10gbe users are low enough that it's not a huge topic (yet). Its worth playing with and as a sysctl, its easy enough to toggle for back to back benchmarks. I will add for virtualization, big buffers mean more throughput but typical higher latency. It all depends on if you need/want the throughput or ultra responsive virtual machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.