Adding empty HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryVog

Explorer
Probably a simple one, but I couldn't find an answer yet.

My FreeNAS server had 2 HDDs with 3TB each (mirrored) and I am at 80% of it's capacity. So I bought 2 additional drives. How do I add them without trashing all the data on the server?

I thought I needed to use 'Import Disk' or 'Import Volume', but that is apparently about copying the data from those new drives to the server, which is not what I want. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this assumption).

I also tried to look into 'Volume Manager' but to my surprise, it wants to make a new volume while I want to extend to the existing one. But the old drives are not shown. And there are some scary red letters, saying that existing data will be cleared. I hope and suspect that this means everything on the new drives will be gone. Is that correct?

So what do I do now? I figured it would take forever to first backup everything from the server to my iMac over the network, then re-setup FreeNAS, and then copy everything back over the network again. Is it possible connect an external USB drive to the server? Copying via USB would probably be faster, wouldn't it?

I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511280648 on an Intel Core i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 8GB RAM. The main purpose has been TimeMachine, so it contains an incremental backup. Simply erasing it would be a pity because I lose my ability to go back in time, but it would not be a total disaster since it is a backup. I want to extend the use of the FreeNAS server by also making it a PLEXServer.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Need more data...

The two additional drives you purchased, what size are they?
Are you looking to replace the two mirrored drives with these new drives?
Are you looking to just add a new mirrored pool to FreeNAS and then moving maybe half your data over to the new pool?

I wouldn't do anything else until we are clear on what you are intending to do.

Lastly, have you saved off your important data elsewhere just in case you mess something up by accident?

TerryVog

Explorer
The two additional drives you purchased, what size are they?
Also 3TB each.
Are you looking to replace the two mirrored drives with these new drives?
Are you looking to just add a new mirrored pool to FreeNAS and then moving maybe half your data over to the new pool?
No replacement; just trying to add to it. It is now a 3TB volume, made with 2 HDDs of 3TB each that mirror each other. I want to have a 6TB volume created with 4 HDDs that each have a mirror.
Lastly, have you saved off your important data elsewhere just in case you mess something up by accident?
The main purpose has been TimeMachine, so it essentially is a backup. But since it is an incremental backup, simply erasing it would lose my ability to go back in time. I wouldn't want to lose the data, but it would not be a total disaster since it is a backup.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You want to extend your volume. You use the volume manage to do this and select extend. Then select your volume you want to extend. Next select your 2 new drivers and set them as a mirror.

TerryVog

Explorer
You want to extend your volume. You use the volume manage to do this and select extend. Then select your volume you want to extend. Next select your 2 new drivers and set them as a mirror.
Thank you; that did the trick. I totally overlooked that 'Volume to extend' popup menu. The available space is now at 3.3 TiB, so it worked.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm glad that @SweetAndLow tossed you that information, I was off doing other things at the time. It was smart of you to add another mirrored pair, so many people just want to add a single drive and then if that drive dies, so does all their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.