Adding Disks to Existing System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have a system running 3 disks in ZFS (4 x 3 TB = 7.3 TB). I am adding 2 more 3 TB, which I believe I need to set to mirror. My question is how to configure these 2 new drives without destroying my existing drive pool. I am somewhat of a newbie and this is making me nervous. Thanks so much for your kindness.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only way you would destroy your existing drive pool is if you used the "Detach" button on the storage screen, and then checked the box for "mark disks as new". I don't think you're likely to do that. What do you want to do? Do you want the two new disks to be part of your existing pool, or do you want to create a new pool with them? Either is possible, though the former would end up with a kind of wonky pool configuration. In both cases, you'd go to Storage -> Volume Manager. If you want to add the new disks to your existing volume, select it under the "pool to extend" dropdown, otherwise leave it blank. Add your disks (click the + button), drag the volume slider to two rows x 1 column, and make sure the dropdown on the left says "mirror".

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Hi. I have a system running 3 disks in ZFS (4 x 3 TB = 7.3 TB). I am adding 2 more 3 TB, which I believe I need to set to mirror.
There is inconsistency in your initial message and a question that's pretty vague. You should probably read this guide very carefully, then read it again, then decide exactly what you want to do, and seek help with whatever that turns out to be if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.