Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Not important to me

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug183

Dabbler
NAS4free allows AFP shares and OSX extended attributes work just fine on these shares, like color tags. However when using cp or rsync commands in the shell (or ssh), NAS4free does not maintain these file attributes (at least color tags), and I lose all that information. The only work around I know about is to issue the cp or rsync commands in the terminal in OSX (non-ssh). However with that method, now I am paying a heavy speed penalty by forcing the copy through the network and OSX.

Is this a feature others could use?

Is is that hard to implement?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I can't say how hard it is to implement, but cp and rsync don't really use the extended attributes in the fashion you demand. There is probably some way to do what you want locally, but I don't know what it is. Unfortunately the best answer is probably to move it through your network and let it run overnight. :/

AFP is a dying protocol, so I don't think many are going to want the feature. CIFS does support extended attributes, but I' not sure if the OSX stuff like color is supported or not (I don't have any Apple products so I don't have experience with it).

Doug183

Dabbler
Thanks. The article below seems to imply FreeBSD does have that ability, however, I am unsure if the article is saying it an additional piece of software I need to install or making the claim that it should work.

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/extattrs.html

Oh and overnight? lollololololol…. The 27 TBs I am copying over the 10 gig network is taking 2.5 days. My activity monitor says I am getting 250MBs, however, there seems to be lots of pauses at times, so I am not getting constant speed.

(I have 32 Gigs of memory and only 1 client.)

Status
Not open for further replies.