Active Directory Services could not be started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afishyfella

Cadet
I have installed FreeNas on a Dell Poweredge 2850 following the documentation the best I can. I am in a Server 2008 R2 domain with 4 domain controllers. It should be noted that we did upgrade from a 2003/2008 mixed domain before this attemt at installing FreeNas. I am trying to enable the Directory Services after entering the required information in the Active Directory settings (see image 1). I am encountering the error, "The service could not be started," at the top of the gui (see image 2). Further information can be seen in the attached screenshots dmesg1 through 6 and the screenshot labeled system Information. I can ping the domain and the FreeNas box can be pinged as per the documentation at http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Directory_Services.

As I am a complete NOOB in regards to FreeNas, could someone help me troubleshoot this problem? If you require more logs I will be glad to find them, however I will need help since I am a complete NOOB to finding these on this type of system. If anyone can help, they will be saving a school district (and taxpayers) around $4K.

Attachments

• image 1  active directory settings.jpg
    image 1 active directory settings.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 453
  • image 2 The service could not be started.jpg
    image 2 The service could not be started.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 461
  • dmesg 1.jpg
    dmesg 1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 384
  • dmesg 2.jpg
    dmesg 2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 390
  • dmesg 3.jpg
    dmesg 3.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 335
  • dmesg 4.jpg
    dmesg 4.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 325
  • dmesg 5.jpg
    dmesg 5.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 348
  • dmesg 6.jpg
    dmesg 6.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 324
  • system Information.jpg
    system Information.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 408

afishyfella

Cadet
dlavigne,

Thank you for responding. Here is what I was able to find. I just included today entries. If need the entire log I can post it. See more info below.

Aug 23 08:34:28 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py stop cifs
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Stopping dbus.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 avahi-daemon[24103]: Disconnected from D-Bus, exiting.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Waiting for PIDS: 24074.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: dbus not running? (check /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid).
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Starting dbus.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Failed to kill daemon: No such file or directory
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: Starting avahi-daemon.
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 avahi-daemon[59401]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Aug 23 08:34:30 freenas-1 notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Aug 23 08:34:31 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kerberos quietstart
Aug 23 08:34:31 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-nsswitch quietstart
Aug 23 08:34:31 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-pam quietstart
Aug 23 08:34:31 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kinit quietstart
Aug 23 08:34:41 freenas-1 ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kinit status
We use time.windows.com on our servers without any issues. I am unable to get this FreeNas box to contact any time servers. I'm getting the error freenas ntpd_initres[5779]: host name not found: time.windows.com. This error also existed with the default time servers that were configured by the installation. I've also tried other time servers from here. I hope this info helps. Remember I'm a NOOB.

D

dlavigne

Please post your NTP settings. Also note that an NTP bug was fixed for 9.1.1, which is due for release early next week.

Finally, is there really a 32-bit CPU in this system?

afishyfella

Cadet
dlavigne,

See attached screenshot for NTP settings. Here are the details on my processor. It is 64-bit. When do you think that will be released? Thank you for responding so fast.

Attachments

• ntp server could not be reached.jpg
    ntp server could not be reached.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 446
  • ntp settings.jpg
    ntp settings.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 383
  • system Information.jpg
    system Information.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 347
D

dlavigne

Currently, you have the 32-bit version installed which will definitely affect performance. You should reinstall a 64-bit version, and if the box will take it, add as much RAM as you can.

Right now 9.1.1 is at RC2 with release expected early next week. You could install the RC2 now and upgrade once release is out: http://cdn.freenas.org/9.1.1/RC2/x64/.

If the new install does not fix the NTP problem, make sure that the FreeNAS server is in the DNS zone and that the network's DNS servers are listed in the Global Configuration of the FreeNAS system.

afishyfella

Cadet
Just another quick question. When setting the active directory settings what do I put in for the workgroup name. That is a little confusing to me because we are in a domain situation and it will not let me leave it blank.

afishyfella

Cadet
Currently, you have the 32-bit version installed which will definitely affect performance. You should reinstall a 64-bit version, and if the box will take it, add as much RAM as you can.

Right now 9.1.1 is at RC2 with release expected early next week. You could install the RC2 now and upgrade once release is out: http://cdn.freenas.org/9.1.1/RC2/x64/.

If the new install does not fix the NTP problem, make sure that the FreeNAS server is in the DNS zone and that the network's DNS servers are listed in the Global Configuration of the FreeNAS system.

Ok. I have installed 64-bit version of 9.1.1 RC2. I was able to join the domain, however, I am missing the button under control services to start Active Directory Services. Am I missing something. When I run wbinfo -u, I get "Error looking up domain users," and when I run wbinfo -t I get

could not obtain winbind interface details: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE could not obtain winbind domain name! checking the trust secret for domain (null) via RPC calls failed failed to call wbcCheckTrustCredentials: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE Could not check secret

Can you help or is this a bug.

Goldy

Cadet
I had this issue it is not a bug it appears the documentation could do with improving a little in this particular area.

You need to enable directory services as follows:

System -> Settings
Under the Directory Services drop down box select Active Directory

This will then allow you to see the service you need to restart.

I hope this saves some people a bit of hassle and hair pulling!

Status
Not open for further replies.