Active Directory CIFS Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

pock

Cadet
All.
I've recently installed FreeNAS after having used it some time ago. I've turned on Directory Services and successfully linked it with my Domain Server, although I am having some difficulty getting authentication with CIFS shares.

What I am attempting to do is used AD to authenticate read/write.

I've created a ZFS dataset and assigned it with a "Domain User" as the USER and "Domain Users" as the group.

I've then granted via chmod User READ,Write, and Execute and for Group I've given Read.

Once this was done, I went into Sharing, and created a CIFS share of that dataset.

Saved and Applied everything. I SSH'd in and did an ls -l and saw the permissions had indeed set correctly to the DomainUSER and the Group Domain Users.

on my Desktop, I go \\192.168.1.3 logged in as the Domain user I assigned Read,Write and Execute to and I get a "Enter Network Credentials" prompt in Windows with an error at the bottom that says "Access Denied".

I've troubleshooted, setting permissions at the command line via the workaround I've found on several threads here, still no go.

Any ideas? I'm sure I am doing something wrong I just can't figure it out. If more information is needed, please ask... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

pock

Cadet
FreeNAS 9.1 x64

Hardware running it. .. Intel core i3 3.10ghz with 4gb RAM

PaganGod

Cadet
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have a similar configuration, but only some users, on one host (Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Host, aka Terminal Server) have the problem. Other users on that host can connect fine, and all other hosts, all users (including those with issues on the one server) can connect fine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@Pock, you're supposed to have 8GB of RAM minimum for ZFS, plus 2GB additional RAM if you use active directory. So you should have 10GB of RAM minimum per 1.3.2 of the FreeNAS manual.

PaganGod

Cadet
For what it is worth, mine is actually running NAS4Free, but I know a lot is common between the code bases. My box has 16GB so that is not the issue for me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, NAS4Free is nothing like FreeNAS under the seat. If a developer saw that comment he'd probably flame you into a briquette just for implying that.

They may use the same service, but how they are implemented has a big big difference in how it works out. They aren't implemented the same... at all.

PaganGod

Cadet
@CyberJock, fair enough. I'll continue to lurk on this thread in case the answer does apply equally to both. I'm not unaware of significant codebase differences, but I think the CIFS inplementation uses the same SAMBA libraries and expect this is possibly even specific to the client OS (Server 2008 R2) in this case. Just my $0.02.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@CyberJock, fair enough. I'll continue to lurk on this thread in case the answer does apply equally to both. I'm not unaware of significant codebase differences, but I think the CIFS inplementation uses the same SAMBA libraries and expect this is possibly even specific to the client OS (Server 2008 R2) in this case. Just my $0.02.

I agree with you that its probably an Active Directory problem. There's lots of bug tickets on bugs.freenas.org where people have complained about AD problems. According to one of the main FreeNAS developers the issues are virtually never with FreeNAS but have to do with the AD domain settings. Not to try to get rid of you, but you'll probably get more help from the NAS4Free guys since you are using their software.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you beind this as I don't have an AD server myself. When someone wants to donate the hardware and a license then I'll concern myself with getting AD working to help out others. ;)

Same problem here.
Fresh FreeNAS 9.1.1 Installation, fresh Windows 2008 R2 installation: I think the problem is dataset unix permission.

New dataset default permissions are 311 (-wx--x--x) , changing to 777 (rwxrwxrwx) the problem is solved.

Some screenshots:

1- Create a new dataset and change to Windows permission

FreeNAS_share_error_10.png

2- Create new share and try to browse:

FreeNAS_share_error_11.png

3- Change folder unix permission and re-try browsing and creating new folder

FreeNAS_share_error_12.png

Idiotzoo

Explorer
This sounds like the same problem I'm struggling with in this thread

I'm really at a loss because all the permissions look ok, whether I look at them in the gui, cli or on windows (using an admin user that freenas will let in).

Status
Not open for further replies.