Accessing ZFS drives on multiple platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeT32

Dabbler
So the question of the day....

I use two drives in Raid 1 for long term data back up. The bulk drive storage is 2 WD Red 3tb that I fill up approximately once a year. I plan on removing the drives once full and loading in 2 new drives in raid 1. I have a desktop internal hard drive dock I would like to use to access the old drives if the need arises. Once machine is Windows 10 and the other OS X. From my googling I can only find threads about accessing ZFS from 2011-2013 and nothing current. Is there a current preferred method to access the drives without putting them back into my FreeNas server?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only method is to mount them on a system capable of reading the ZFS version and feature flags that are enabled. Typically the shortest path is to use another FreeNAS server.

LukeT32

Dabbler
there isn't a windows or mac program that can access ZFS?

and if that is the case, I didn't think it was possible to add an HD to a FreeNas server without wiping it. Sorry I am a noob.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
there isn't a windows or mac program that can access ZFS?

Not with the ZFS version and flags that FreeNAS uses. There is nothing for Windows, at all. Mac has some very outdated support, but it won't mount FreeNAS ZFS.

and if that is the case, I didn't think it was possible to add an HD to a FreeNas server without wiping it. Sorry I am a noob.

It's totally possible... See the manual about importing volumes.

LukeT32

Dabbler
For a little more back story to hopefully find a different route....

The HDs are used for file back up and occasionally the files will be accessed. Would it be easier to just buy super cheap 3TB hard drives that I can format to NTFS and manually back everything up onto using a hard drive dock connected to my desktop. The drives will just be placed in a safe for storage and pulled out and docked a few times a year.

LukeT32

Dabbler
I also see you are using 10 drives on your server. What PCI SATA card did you go with?

**EDIT** Reading your hardware guide now... ignore this post. :D

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For a little more back story to hopefully find a different route....

The HDs are used for file back up and occasionally the files will be accessed. Would it be easier to just buy super cheap 3TB hard drives that I can format to NTFS and manually back everything up onto using a hard drive dock connected to my desktop. The drives will just be placed in a safe for storage and pulled out and docked a few times a year.

Totally possible if that tickles your fancy. There's quite a bit that can be lost though (some filenames are compatible with ZFS but not NTFS), permissions, etc.

Personally I'd keep the backup as ZFS and simply use some hotplug bays to attach the backup drives if/when you need them. Using ZFS replication is just so awesome that I find it hard to justify backups using other methods. Of course, I'm thinking in terms of how I use my server (minus job related stuff and forum stuff since that is a totally unique workload that doesn't represent anything a typical FreeNAS user would use the system for).

YMMV though and you are the best at deciding what is best for you. It's your data to keep or lose with good/bad backups. :)

Remember, *any* backup is better than no backup.

LukeT32

Dabbler
All the files are photo related. RAW, PSD, and JPEG formats. The files would only be accessed if a client requests old photos, but very rarely does that actually happen. I would just hate to have to remount a drive in FreeNAS to grab 1 or 2 files off. I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to FreeNAS, so docking the old hard drives in my desktop external HD dock to grab a few files would be 100x easier then going down stairs and plugging them into my FreeNAS then coming back upstairs to my desktop mounting them, removing the files, etc etc.

I had no idea ZFS was not compatible with Windows or Mac... I probably would have gone another route if I had know that. :D

So I am 100% open to ideas.

The business requires approximately 3 to 4tb of back up each year. My original plan was to use two WD Red 3tb in RaidZ1 until full. Then install two new drives and put the old drives in my safe until access to them was needed. My wife (aka the one accessing all the data) does not have the technical knowledge to remount the HD every time an old client asks for photos. The process (in which I had dreamed it would work) would realistically take 15 minutes to gain access to the old files if needed. Her having to wait for me to get off work, and do the above mentioned mount/dismount, etc for a few photos won't be an acceptable answer for her. :P She would return back to her old method of buying cheap external HDs and carrying them around to use on her MacBook or iMac.... Which we both know is a terrible idea for actual back up. The speed/convenience isn't there either. She enjoys being anywhere in the house and able to edit/back up any photos she so well pleases.

Is there perhaps another option/trick I am unaware of?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. If ZFS is too complicated for your situation, then you need to move away from FreeNAS to something else. Presumably Windows since she's probably familiar with that. Unfortunately you are stuck with NTFS... which isn't exactly a great file system by today's standards, and definitely antiquated compared to ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.