Accessing Plex with dynamic IP and no Plex Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
I will give you an awesome tip for plex. It's not an advertisement, just a discovery I wanted to share with others.
I discovered it recently and till now I was shuffling through the ip addresses of various servers of my family to access everything (I guess you're doing the same).
First and foremost add different users as friends (people with clients or servers). It sounds silly but well.. Most free things are. With each friend you can choose different folders you want to share (bonus imo). Now once you're added to each other's list login to http://plex.tv/ with your username and pw. On the top right corner there will be a tab marked "LAUNCH". You will be redirected to your plex homepage and can access your own server. On the top left there will be a dropdown menu of the list of accessible servers. You can choose to access all servers you can from one platform. Happy plexing.

It will even help people who don't want to access different servers and don't want anyone else using their server. Instead of entering the http://ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4:port/web you can login to the site and view your entire collection from browsers.

I would however never use it in my local network since the speeds/performance can drop. For local access I am still using 192.168.1.ip:port/web.
Please do share your experiences and help others.
thanks.
If the posts help you don't forget to click the Thanks. ;)

m0nkey_

MVP
This has been a feature of Plex for quite some time. I share my library with a few friends and visa-versa. The Plex Pass however is worth it if you sync media to your phone/tablet, or want to make use of the newest features. I've probably paid for Plex for the last few years as it adds value to my experience, I should really invest in a lifetime sub, instead of resubscribing every year.

Bhoot

Patron
This has been a feature of Plex for quite some time. I share my library with a few friends and visa-versa. The Plex Pass however is worth it if you sync media to your phone/tablet, or want to make use of the newest features. I've probably paid for Plex for the last few years as it adds value to my experience, I should really invest in a lifetime sub, instead of resubscribing every year.
I just read it on another post about plex being used by friends so I thought I would make a thread to get every one to use this feature.
Yes I agree. Plex lifetime is definitely a better proposition. A few days back it was running some discounts. That being said the dvr isn't for all the countries and the sync was the only feature that would lure me to buy plex if at all (maybe movie trailers but I guess that'll get old soon. Again personally I don't find it worth it and if I would subscribe it would be for supporting the app. :)

saikee

Explorer
FreeNAS and Plex make a very powerful combination especially for media files.

I started with sharing with friends my movie collection. Now I have uploaded all my photos and video into FreeNas and view them by Plex from any time and anywhere in the world with any Internet device. One library in Plex for each year of my 50+ years collection which is only selectively shared with relatives.

I run a mirror Vdev in my FreeNAS so the files are automatically backuped. I also keep an offline copy periodically backuped.

Being in one large 24-TB filing system I find the ZFS filing system to be the best way for chronologically assembling/maintaining my 50+ years photos which have both scanned and digital data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.