A couple randomly occuring, but repeating errors. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
I seem to be having two consistent errors occuring at random intervals of uptime. The first is a "spinlock" I snapped a picture of the screen the last two times this happens.
8-10-11 (1).jpg

8-10-11 (2).jpg

Are there any solutions to stop this from happening? This only occurs when the system is moving vast amounts of data.

The second error tends to occur more often when the system is idle. The main jist is that the entire system simply locks. You can not ping the system, access the CLI or GUI? In order to regain access you have to hard-reset the system - which of course destroys log files. I could certainly use some ideas on ways to provide the community with more information about this error.

When the system is up, this thing rocks... it's just keeping it up and running that is making me prematurely gray.

Thanks for your help.

ProtoSD

MVP
It looks like a bug with the kernel, there are other FreeBSD users, not using FreeNAS having the same problem. One suggestion to try was:

Do you have anything like powerd(8) enabled, or EIST / Intel SpeedStep
technology enabled in your system BIOS? If so, can you try disabling
powerd and/or disabling EIST/SS?

I didn't find any else that looked helpful so far. I'd try the BIOS setting first and see if that makes any improvements.

sjieke

Contributor
I could certainly use some ideas on ways to provide the community with more information about this error.

An idea that pops in my head is to set-up a cron job that copies all log files (/var/log/ I think) every minute (or more if you wish) to your storage pool. After a crash you can look in the log files stored on your pool. You could also copy them every second for example, this will increase the change of seeing the error but will also put some strain on the system.

Another idea is to share some folder on your desktop PC and mount it on the FreeNAS as /var/log/. That way all log files will be written to your desktop PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.