9.2.1.8 Cannot login to AFP share to transfer files or create new folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleverking

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've been having problems creating folders and transferring files to an AFP share since upgrading to 9.2.1.7 which I knew there was an existing bug. I have just upgraded to 9.2.1.8 which I believe fixes this bug however I still cannot login to create folders or transfer files.

My share is setup as below:
upload_2014-9-30_14-29-45.png

I can access this share, and login with a user I have created withing FreeNAS (however not the default root account), browse directories, and open files.

However when creating a new folder I get a login window as shown below which by default has my full name within (deleted for screenshot).
upload_2014-9-30_14-34-13.png

I am somewhat confused which login it is asking me for here because...
  1. My full name is presumably the account name on my mac...?
  2. I am already logged in as a FreeNAS user apparently...
    upload_2014-9-30_14-35-8.png

3. It doesn't accept the above user credentials, neither root, however does accept my mac user account but comes up with the below error...
    upload_2014-9-30_14-36-50.png
Being a bit of a noob to FreeNAS, I have probably missed something out. I've tried to provide as much details as possible, however let me know what you need or what you would like me to try...

Thanks in advance.

D

dlavigne

Post a screenshot of the permissions on LOWFOONPLEX (from Volumes tree).

D

dlavigne

Couple of things to try. Set the Permission Type to Unix/Mac. Also, is this a one user scenario or are multiple users accessing this share? Changing the user/group in this screen to match the user(s) needing access to create new directories.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
One issue I see is you shouldn't be sharing out your pools root. You need to make a dataset and have that be Mac permissions type. Then switch your root to be Unix permissions again and hope that fixed the first issue.

Next you need to create a user on freenas that matches your user on your Mac, same name and password. You can figure out your username by typing "id" into a terminal without quotes. Next make that user the owner of the dataset you created from above, make the group the same as the group the user is in if you want but it shouldn't matter. And I think that is all.

Cleverking

Dabbler
Couple of things to try. Set the Permission Type to Unix/Mac. Also, is this a one user scenario or are multiple users accessing this share? Changing the user/group in this screen to match the user(s) needing access to create new directories.
One issue I see is you shouldn't be sharing out your pools root. You need to make a dataset and have that be Mac permissions type. Then switch your root to be Unix permissions again and hope that fixed the first issue.

Next you need to create a user on freenas that matches your user on your Mac, same name and password. You can figure out your username by typing "id" into a terminal without quotes. Next make that user the owner of the dataset you created from above, make the group the same as the group the user is in if you want but it shouldn't matter. And I think that is all.

Thanks both - Creating a new dataset with the same credentials as the user on the Mac worked. Now for the painful process of moving my TB's of data out of the root into the new dataset :confused:
Question off the back of this though, How can I access the my folders on my pools root to copy it over to the new dataset ?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
ssh into your freenas box then you 'cd /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX' then you can either use 'cp' or 'mv' this depends on how much space you have. I would use cp -R to recursively copy all the data from one dataset to another, example: cp -R /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX/folder /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX/newDataset. then delete the original data after verifying everything was copied correctly. If you don't have enough storage to store a complete duplicate then you can use the move(mv) command.

Cleverking

Dabbler
ssh into your freenas box then you 'cd /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX' then you can either use 'cp' or 'mv' this depends on how much space you have. I would use cp -R to recursively copy all the data from one dataset to another, example: cp -R /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX/folder /mnt/LOWFOONPLEX/newDataset. then delete the original data after verifying everything was copied correctly. If you don't have enough storage to store a complete duplicate then you can use the move(mv) command.

Fantastic. Very much appreciate your help.
One very last question, Is it possible to share a dataset for access on Windows aswell as Mac?
As you can tell by now, I am a complete noob :)

rogerh

Guru
Macs can use a CIFS share without difficulty, and the best way to do it is to set up a Windows share according to all the advice on CIFS shares, share it by CIFS, and then access it with the Mac. If you also have some AFP shares the Macs may not see both on the same host. A trick that works for me is to give the FreeNAS box a Netbios name in the CIFS service dialogue different from its hostname. Then the Macs will see the CIFS and AFP shares as being on different hosts and allow separate, simultaneous access to both.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To clarify, you shouldn't share something with two protocols at once. Nasty stuff may happen.

CIFS will work for pretty much everything, so use it if you're doing Windows + other OSes.

Cleverking

Dabbler
Sorry to bring this thread back but I have just noticed that after copying my folders over to the dataset, I cannot create new folders within although I can create new folders at the root of the dataset. I've illustrated the directory structure below where you can see 'Show1' is the folder I am trying to create and it is asking for login credentials similar to last time.

- LOWFOONPLEX
- MEDIA (Dataset)
- MOVIES (Folder)
- TV SHOWS (Folder)
- Show1 (Login Credentials needed)
-ls la within the folder shows...
upload_2014-10-10_11-39-59.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right.. because ls -la doesn't tell me about the ACLs for the files. You need to fix your ACLs with getfacl and setfacl.

Status
Not open for further replies.