8.0.3p1 amd64 install error when cd drive present

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingentech

Cadet
I was transferring my config over to a different machine today, when all attempts to install failed from the 8.0.3p1 amd64 cd. After loading into memory the installer would throw an error on read access for the cdrom, if I hit the eject button the installer would load the text gui, but after the install the gpt partition was messed up and would not boot. I tried two different iso's and multiple drives. I then tried the install from USB and the same prob occurred even though I wasn't installing from cd and the same when I tried using a SanDisk Cruiser w/U3, emulated cdrom. I will post the exact error, tomorrow, after I recreate it.

MBD: MSI G41-P35
RAM: 8 GB 10666 (2x4GB)
CPU: 6700 (1.86 Core2Duo)

Rogla

Dabbler
I was also unable to install 8.0.3p1 amd64 (9591) from cd, a fresh install.

In my case, I got the menu and was able to start the console. But on installation the boot loader started and immediately terminated with a message like "unabable to load" (I mybe remember the wron wording). On starting the boot loader, I noticed that it did not find the booat loader and then changed the capital spelling of the path to the boot loader to be able to find and start it (thats maybe normal).

I tried four diffrent CD and have installed on VmWare machines without problem.
I tried diffrent BIOS settings (IDE, AHCI ...).
I had only the OPROM and one SSD disk connected to the onboard SATA controller.

So I installed on an USB stick in a VmWare machine, and that stick worked.

MBD: ASUS F1A74-V EVO
RAM: 16 GB 10666 (4x4GB)
CPU: AMD A8-3870
System HD: Corsair Force GT 60 GB f.w 1.3.3 (now used as cache).

I can take a screen dump in the weeken when I'm back at home.
I can also try to replace the SSD with a HD to rule out problems with the SSD (bad f.w etc).

G

gcooper

Do your CD drives work well in other OSes? Have you tested the media to ensure that it doesn't have errors?

Rogla

Dabbler
The media works on other Linux and Windows boxes with the very same OPROM player.
With the OPROM player in a Windows machine, I was able to boot the install CD in vmware and install on a USB stick.

One thing I did not test was to downgrade from 16 GB to 4 GB RAM, could a lot of RAM be a problem?

The screen dump is in this image:
FN_8.0.3.p1_BootLoaderError_bw.jpg

Edit:
Got the same error after removing the cache (disk0), USB mouse, USB UPS.

G

gcooper

The media works on other Linux and Windows boxes with the very same OPROM player.
With the OPROM player in a Windows machine, I was able to boot the install CD in vmware and install on a USB stick.

One thing I did not test was to downgrade from 16 GB to 4 GB RAM, could a lot of RAM be a problem?

The screen dump is in this image:
View attachment 627

Edit:
Got the same error after removing the cache (disk0), USB mouse, USB UPS.

Wait... uh, boot order issues? Is your boot order in the BIOS correct?

Rogla

Dabbler
Abslolutely, you can see in the image above that the loader start but can't find the kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.