64 bit Virtualbox VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
Running 9.10, forgive me if I'm asking something elsewhere (search gave me conflicting answers!), but is it possible to install a 64bit vm in phpvirtualbox? Specifically trying to see if i can get a debian linux vm going

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sure is. I have a 64-bit Windows 7 install running fine under VirtualBox in FreeNAS. I'm pretty sure I've installed 64-bit Ubuntu in the past as well. And I know I've run FreeNAS itself as a VM under VirtualBox in FreeNAS, and that's 64-bit too.

Jack Naisbett

Explorer
The GUI only offers 32bit guests, so maybe my motherboard can't do it? I enabled direct virtualisation i/o or something which i hoped was similar to vt-d but maybe not?

Its just a machine I'm testing with prior to buying/building a proper one, so if it's a motherboard thing that's fine. How did you install the guests?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what to say--my install the OS dropdown lists both 32-bit and 64-bit OSs for the guest OS. I had the same result on my previous box, a Supermicro X9SCL-F motherboard with a Xeon E3-1230v2 CPU.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
The GUI only offers 32bit guests, so maybe my motherboard can't do it?
Possibly, what are your system specs?

P.S. you can simply use this command to get CPU info (In FreeNas shell or via Putty): sysctl hw.model hw.machine hw.ncpu

Example:
Code:
[root@ASC-FN01] ~# sysctl hw.model hw.machine hw.ncpu
hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5639  @ 2.13GHz
hw.machine: amd64
hw.ncpu: 4

Status
Not open for further replies.